Annuals in the waterfall??? Full sun.

frankielynnsie(7B)May 19, 2014

I tried a search but couldn't find what would work best in the waterfall in full sun. I tried inpatients but they couldn't handle the full sun so had to pull them out today. Can I use annual vinca or petunias? The green sweet potato vine is doing fine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrb451

Mint does well and has to be kept nipped back to prevent diverting water out of the pond. Louisiana Iris too. Any marsh plant should grow as well.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 4:01PM
CaraRose

I knock the dirt from marigold roots and stick them between rocks.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 4:03PM
frankielynnsie(7B)

Thanks, I have some runaway mint in the garden and together with some marigolds should look cheery. I may try one of the vincas for a few days and see how it holds up.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 8:36PM
joe_09(z7 ny)

i am surprised the inpatients did not work.i put mine bare rotted in a wet spot in the waterfall and they grow 3 ft. in diameter.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 8:40AM
gordo33

First spring with pond build end last August. I planted vinca impatients and petunis bare rooted in gravel along side a waterfall that gets 4-6 hrs intermittent sun. I embedded watercress in stream that WF dumps into. So far all are thriving.
I planted the above along with marigolds and sweet potatoe vine in a floating island. So far everything is growing

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 12:23PM
CaraRose

I'm thinking about sweet potato vine in the waterfall box spilling down the sides.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 3:50PM
nancym1956

If you like the impatiens, try "sunpatiens". That variety seems to do very well in sun.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 10:11AM
InquisitiveCat

Yes, Sunpatiens are beautiful! I planted 19 of them each summer for a few years ....not around the pond, but in front of my house.

Thing is, suprisingly, the ones in the sunniest spots in the bed did the worst! In spite of their promising name, they still seemed to perform best in partial sun from my experience.

The ones in full sun still did well, btw, but required more water, that's all. They were beautiful, "showy" plants. I would put them in during May, & by July, they all had quadrupled in size! They got huge!

Have had great success with vinca btw, planted in the fullest sun! Even on the hottest days (we can be in the upper 90's to low 100's for 2 weeks at a time!) the vinca held up like a trooper! They look delicate, but they are tough little flowers! Haven't seen anything else do so well in the heat of summer on my property!

But unlike Sunpatiens and impatiens...they don't spread. What you see is pretty much what you get when you plant them for the entire summer. (At least for me!).

Good luck, Frankielynn. Whatever you do, it will be adorable!

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 7:35AM
More Discussions
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
New UV ordered
This is my first time that I will use a UV lamp for...
hwarrick
Spring is slowly getting here
It is 71 degrees outside and all the ice has melted...
frankielynnsie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™