Pruning Drift Roses

onederwJanuary 13, 2013

I have several Apricot Drifts. They've been doing very well here, but this is their first winter. Do I prune them? If so, how much? (My guess would be little if any, but I'm operating from zero experience with roses this small.) Do I need to de-leaf them? Should I just let them be? Any and all advice and experience welcome.

Kay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

If this is their first winter, they are babies. I would not take anything off except wood that is obviously dead, if any. Ditto leaves. If I read your zone info correctly, there is not any danger of a freeze for the rest of the "Winter" ? If that is the case, I would feed them now, and put a layer of mulch around them (not touching the bush) and then just wait.

Jackie

Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 4:07PM
emily2002

I have all the drift roses, including the new one this year - Popcorn - which starts out yellow and changes to a creamy white. They have become my favorites because they bloom constantly and for the most part are carefree. The hybridizers say the drifts should be pruned to a height of 4-6" and I have done this every year, even though the pink spreads like crazy and the pastel pink called Sweet makes a pretty good size bush. It's hard to do but they sure do respond come spring. Any questions?

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 7:41PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

What growing zone, emily2002. Growing zone can sometimes make a difference.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 5:56PM
emily2002

8b, north Florida. However, if you'll read what the hybridizers have written, they don't mention how you should prune in different zones. I love these roses and have about 100 of them spread around. Do you have any?

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 12:05PM
Lind1488

I have Sweet drift roses which barely survived last summer's drought. They were planted last spring. This year in early spring they were very small, about 9", and I mostly trimmed off the dead parts. It is now May 4, they are already 24" high in spite of our up and down temps, have many buds and a few blooms. I can see they are probably going to be much bigger than I would like them to be for the space they occupy in front of a fountain. I assume if I prune them further now, there will be no blooms this summer. I also assume my only other options are moving them which put them at risk for dying or just get over their being too big for the space and doing a better pruning job next spring? Are my assumptions correct? Thanks.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
What are these red spots on my rose canes and are they bad?
Hello everyone! It's spring time and my roses are all...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
Crazy about Rose Buds!
There are times during this new season of roses that...
sara_ann-z6bok
Does anyone grow First Prize own-root?
I have seen a huge First Prize plant but don't know...
erasmus_gw
Is it just me or is RU shipping really late this year?
Now, I will admit that I didn't place my order until...
kingcobbtx9b
How to Take Cuttings...
We are officially moving Monday, and as I walked the...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
Sponsored Products
SMV Telescopic Anvil Lopper Multicolor - GTAL-39
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Grand Patrician Heathered Jersey Knit Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Rose Shower Head Fixed & Wall Mount Arm - Easyclean Chrome Showerhead
Hudson Reed
Rose & Her Nose Door Knocker - Bronze
Signature Hardware
Gray & Yellow Charles Quilt Set
$19.99 | zulily