Lady Hillingdon, Weeping China Doll, Lavender Lassie?

frances_in_nj(z6 NJ)January 6, 2011

Hi - I have questions about these 3, wonder if anybody can help?

1. Lady Hillingdon - would she be a decent climber here in zone 6? She's listed as hardy, but would she just always die back to nothing?

2. Weeping China Doll - can this be grown as a climber, or is it really better as a big weeping shrub?

3. Lavender Lassie - I actually grow her! But I grow her in pretty deep shade. She blooms spectacularly in spring, but then not much the rest of the season. I was thinking of tryining another specimen in a sunny spot. Does anybody have experience with her in sun - does she re-bloom well in sun?

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_bustopher z6 MO

I can only speak to Lavender Lassie. Lavender Lassie only reblooms for me if the winter and winter/spring transition has not been too severe. This past year was the first year since that awful Easter freeze of '07 that she and any of my other established hybrid musks rebloomed. If Lavender Lassie is doing okay, it blooms heavily in the spring and then a little more in the fall, but that is about it. No magic answer on this one.

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 5:30PM
zeffyrose_pa6b7(6b7)

Hi Frances-------Lady Hillingdon did not survive here in Pa.

LL is a beauty but not much rebloom that I noticed----my garden is pretty shady---

Florence

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 10:31PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Teas are borderline hardy in NJ, and I think only in the way southern part of the state. I think one forum member in NYC grows it, but I wouldn't.

Bookmark   January 8, 2011 at 5:43PM
york_rose

Olga grows Lady Hillingdon in suburban Maryland, but it's a large shrub, not a climber.

I wouldn't attempt it, especially when there are many other very worthy climbing roses that will grow just fine for you in NJ.

Bookmark   January 8, 2011 at 7:41PM
frances_in_nj(z6 NJ)

Thanks, everybody, for your replies! I tend to suffer from "zone denial" but I will follow your good advice and skip Lady Hillingdon, pretty though she is. As for Lavender Lassie, I'll just enjoy her as a more-or-less once bloomer! If anybody can tell me about Weeping China Doll's habit I'd love to hear!

Bookmark   January 9, 2011 at 4:56PM
catsrose(VA 6)

Weeping China weeps better than she climbs. Mine falls over a stone wall. It sounds like you are looking for a climber. How big/what do you want it to climb on, and what colors?

Bookmark   January 11, 2011 at 11:26PM
frances_in_nj(z6 NJ)

I am looking for climbers! I have a new fence, and I'm interested in sort of medium-sized ones. I particularly love deep pinks and purples, but I'm always interested in yellows that might be truly hardy here. Thanks!

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 1:01PM
catsrose(VA 6)

Take a look at Hartwood Roses. Connie is fairly close, and thus has stuff that will do for you. Plus, she is wonderfully knowledgeable and easy to talk to. She would be your best and most personable choice. Here's the link:
http://www.hartwoodroses.com/

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Photos won't post
I was able to post a photo from my computer last week....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Old Rose Seminar, May 2, 2015 San Juan Bautista, CA
By tomorrow, I hope to have this up on the Heritage...
jerijen
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
Help me choose a climbing rose please?
Here is my order..lol - I need a rose that is light...
gardenbug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™