Finally bought my seeds yesterday!

mandolls(4)January 6, 2013

I have been taking inventory of leftover seed, going through seed catalogs and roaming on-line for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I finally put together my orders. Even with lots of seed left from last year, I spent $100.00. It seems like a lot of money. It was probably 1/3 flower seed and 2/3 vegetable, and I know it is a lot less than if I was still buying transplants at the local greenhouses.

This year I dont think I will have to buy anymore lights, or lumber for more raised beds as I have the past three years, so I think my year total expenditures will be way down, but I think I need to learn to start harvesting seeds.

I am curious as to how many of you regularly save seed from your gardens for the next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jonfrum(6)

Seed saving is low on my list of priorities. Biennials like carrot and beet don't make sense for a small scale gardener - it's have to leave plant in the ground for a second year, wasting space. And squash varieties interbreed promiscuously, so I'd have to put in the work of doing controlled pollinations. I'll be saving seed from my open pollinated tomatoes and peppers, but that's it.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 3:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

I dont save seed because i desire seed with a wide range of disease resistance. But that is just me? & at 75 I am not about to change
If you are looking for advice go the the seed saving forum & heritage seed/plants

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
Blue Globe Thistle Seed Germination
Help! I so want to grow Blue Globe Thistle. I have...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Nasturtium from seed
hi, i'm currently planting some nasturtium seeds (about...
rosche
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™