Spacing of hybrin tea roses?

TexasPilotJanuary 26, 2014

Newbie question. When I read that a specific rose should be spaced "x" feet or inches apart, does that mean from base-to-base or from what will be the outer edge of the mature bush. For example, one HT specifies it will grow to 3 feet wide; the adjacent one will be, let say, 4 feet wide. How far apart should the centers of the planting holes be? Thanks for the advice.

TexasPilot
San Antonio, TX

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

Ideally, you would want to give 6' between each HT from the center of each bush.. This gives good air circulation and you can get around each bush without too many canes growing into each other. On the other hand, I'll take 2 or 3 HT's and plant them 12" apart in a triangle. This makes a BIG, full bush that caries a lot of blooms. Or I'll plant them on 3' centers in rows so I can have more bush's. Just my 2 cents.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:23PM
deervssteve(9)

I need to cage my roses and the cages are 4-5 feet in diameter, so I am planting them about 4-5 feet apart.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:35PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

The 3' wide plant will get 1.5' wide from the center of the plant out in all directions. The 4' plant will get 2' wide from the center of the plant out in all directions. 1.5' + 2' wide = 3.5', so you would plant the center of the first plant 3.5' from the center of the second.

That is, if you don't want any space between the two plants at maturity.

If you need to get in between them for cleanup/maintenance, or if they need more air circulation in your climate, add more space.

Also if plants get larger than average in your garden (only experience can tell you that) adjust accordingly.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 4:45PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

As a general rule of thumb, when it comes to hybrid teas, I space them about 3 ft apart, measuring from the center of one to the center of the next one.

I don't find a lot of different widths when it comes to HTs, but if I knew a HT was a bit wider than "normal," I might add .5 ft or so to the spacing. Elle, for instance, is a somewhat wider-spreading HT, so a little extra space for her.

Kate

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 6:33PM
seil zone 6b MI

I do about the same thing Kate does, 3 feet on center for hybrid teas. HTs generally tend to be taller and narrower in growth habit. Other types like floribundas and shrubs can get wider so they would need more room.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
Help finding a miniature rose
So far I have decided to try Green Ice from Chamblees....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Have roses, need someone with shovel to take them home...
After the last garden move, I swore it wouldn't happen...
roseseek
do rabbits eat roses
my roses have been eaten down to about 18" and...
dmoore66
Julia Child for Pacific Northwest garden
I am on Vancouver Island and would love to add Julia...
Blueisland BC Pacific NW-Z8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™