Starting to early

jduren(5 MO.)January 8, 2013

What problems will encounter is I decide to start some annual seeds earlier than required? I would like to try and germinate some seeds to get some practice but don't want to lose any because of it either..thx Jack

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Problems will depend on your set up and the specific varieties but be realistic and don't expect 100% success.

Too warm an environment and/or too little light will result in long lanky transplants with weak stems that won't survive for long. But it is a good way to learn how to control your temps and supplemental lighting. Likely no blooms unless you have extreme sun exposure or adjust the light spectrum used.

You may also have to do more than the usual 2-3 transplants - pot-ups - to larger containers and more potting mix. They will also require more nutrient supplements, water, and light. It is a good way to learn the symptoms of root-bound plants and to learn how to evaluate nutrient and water needs for the trade off of buying more containers and potting mix.

Eventually some of the plants may get so large that they won't survive hardening off and transplanting to the garden.

So it's a trade-off: learning and experience for loss of some plants and the work involved.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 12:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jduren(5 MO.)

Everything helps DigDirt and thx. I talked to the annual seed grower at the nursery I deal with and he gave me a lot of insight but because they time there annuals for the season early birding wasnt available. He said the biggest challenge will be going indoors to outside and care must be taken.

I have a double window on the southeast and temperatures there range from 65 at night to 80 during the day if I adjust the blinds..Jack

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
Time for some early seed starting!
Got my seeds today. In about a week or so I will start...
Peter1142
Asparagus seedling help needed
So I'm growing Mary Washington from seed this year-...
beesneeds
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™