i have no idea what this is...

katisu(5 Indy)July 27, 2014

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Is there an apple tree nearby?

P.S. It would have been helpful if you had indicated the location of the plants.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 6:31PM
katisu(5 Indy)

Sorry, I thought I had added my zone. Is that what you meant? Or its physical location? It is in the front yard under a large tree (not fruit-bearing), growing abundantly in the shade.

There are two fruit-bearing trees in the backyard, but not any in the front yard. I think one is an apple tree. They're very small apples, if so. I think the other is a plum tree.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 6:42PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

They look like my apple suckers. SInce there is no apple tree nearby, could there have been an apple tree there before, I wonder?

Yeah, a planting zone to your login name would help, unless the plants were found somewhere else. Thanks.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 6:49PM
katisu(5 Indy)

We're in zone 5. I don't know if there was once an apple tree there or not, since we just bought the house. I tend to doubt there was an apple tree in that spot, since it would not receive any sunlight. But I do know from the previous owner, that there once was (years ago) a second apple tree somewhere. But my best guess would be backyard for that, too.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:22PM
katisu(5 Indy)

I Googled apple suckers, and they look like that's probably it. If so, are they weeds?

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:33PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Are they weeds? Well, if the apple-tree-that's-no-longer-there was growing in that part of the yard, most likely they would be growing from the rootstock of a grafted apple. If so, the fruit would not be something you'd want.

And in case they're seedlings rather than suckers: apples don't grow true from seed, but seedlings will bear fruit somewhat similar to the parent(s). So seedlings would be more likely than suckers to bear decent fruit. But you'd be much better off buying a sapling of an apple variety you enjoy, and planting it where it will get a good bit of sun.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:11PM
katisu(5 Indy)

Great, thanks everyone!

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:18PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Pretty certainly apple suckers imo. Pear as an outside possibility. If you look at the base you can see they've been cut back before and resprouted.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 4:54AM
esh_ga

Just a comment on location - zone is not always enough, if you post again, please indicate something like city/state (if in US) in your initial description. Some zones span a lot of area and what might be planted in one is not necessarily what might be in another even in the same zone.

If you still have the original plant then spraying suckers will harm the original. Clip the suckers to the ground instead. If you no longer want this, then spraying is fine. That is just a general statement to you and anyone else that might read this.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 7:36AM
katisu(5 Indy)

I'm in Indianapolis, IN, and guess what!? I lied! (There wasn't anything growing in the tree a few weeks ago when I did a bunch of yard work.) The tree above does appear to be fruit-bearing, but I have no idea what it'll be. Maybe plums?

Certainly explains suckers.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 12:36PM
ibilous(6 Mykolayiv)

Prunus mahaleb, aka mahaleb cherry, aka St Lucie cherry???

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
What is this magenta plant?
Can anyone identify the magenta plant in this image...
Steve Baker
Is this crinum?
I actually don't remember planting this. It has been...
purslanegarden
what is this seedling?
another one, I don't think it's a weed, looks familiar...
castro_gardener
What is this ornamental plant?
This is a tree that is growing in my neighbor's home....
frugal_gardening
Please help ID this plant.
We just saw this on the front yard and my father-in-law...
Leigh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™