Gardenia from seed? What was I thinking?!?

aptgardenJanuary 7, 2013

Like 9 out of 10 folks here I can't keep them alive yet I can't stay away! I trying to grow it from seed this time to see if I have better luck. So far so good! My question is: I'd like to keep it small and compact when is a good time to prune? It's getting pretty tall. I want it to branch out. Also can someone tell me what type of Gardenia this is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

All I can say is congrats on what you have so far! It looks very healthy. It also looks like you are already getting a little side growth. I would pinch off the leading tip now to encourage it.

I have such a hard time nursing my gardenias through the winter. They are looking pretty bad right now, loosing leaves and complaining loudly.

I wish you continued success.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 9:16AM
aptgarden

I'll pinch it off after this new set of leaves grow out. This is my third try at growing from seed. It's so hard to maintain the humidity they need in a NY apartment due to the heating. I was able to remedy the issue by placing them in a wardian case. Thanks for the advice! good luck with yours!

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 11:15AM
Gretchen Wood

For humidity may I suggest you put the gardenia in the bathroom. There is enough humidity for it to survive. We have about 10 orchid plants in and around our large jetted tub. I am excited because one orchid has 15 buds soon to bloom.
Good Luck with the Gardenia.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 1:35AM
More Discussions
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
Question on Growing Herbs from Seed
How's everybody doin'? Switichin' to shorts down here. I...
csrain
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
Growing Chesnuts from nut
This time last year I bought about four chestnuts from...
mccommas
Growing Golden Chalice Vine, From Seeds.
well i manage to get my Sensitive plant seeds to sprout,...
aveo5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™