growing metasequoia from seed

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)January 7, 2014

I'll probably post this also over at the Conifers forum.

Just ordered some of the "80% cut" Metasequoia glyptostroboides seeds from F.W. Schumacher along with a couple other conifers. Supposedly this a lot of seeds filtered out for better germination rates.

I saw some threads here before that suggested the germination rates are pretty good for their seed.

Few Questions:

Seems they don't "need" stratification, but there is some suggestion that they germinate better with a short period. Yes or no?

Will they safely store dry at room temp for a couple months?

Pregerminate, then separate/plant in individual pots, or stick a couple seeds in each pot and thin them out?

Any tips for prevention of rot/damping off?

How big should I expect the seedling to grow its first year? I know Dawn Redwood grows FAST, but I also know that conifer seedlings in particular can stay VERY small the first season or two.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Did you check out all the info links I posted on your other thread about germinating and growing conifers?

Considered a fast grower at 1-2' per year after year 2. Lots of discussions about this variety already over on the Conifers forum here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web discussions about metasequoia germination, plant spacing and growth patterns

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 3:02PM
More Discussions
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™