Is Dap acrylic latex caulk plus silicone toxic to koi?

debby_ky(z6 Ky)May 11, 2012

I have had to put a lg. patch on my pond waterway (1 liner comes from the lg. pond and overlaps the liner into the sm. pond.) I have used a patch to join these two overlapping liners. I applied this Dap acrylic latex caulk plus silicone around edges of patch and under the 2 liners. Did I do the wrong thing is this toxic to my Koi and goldfish?

Any help would be greatly appricated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

While it would not likely be poisonous to your fish, it might cause a blockage in their gut if they swallowed a large chunk. Why aren't you using an adhesive that is designed for pond liner? Caulk is not going to hold up as an adhesive. What kind of liner are you using?

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 7:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancym1956

Many people on this forum and others use PL Roof and Flashing Sealant. It's thick black sealant that seems to adhere well to rubber liner. Others have used black waterfall foam, even though it isn't really designed for that use. I would not use latex caulk. Like Sleeplessinftwayne said, it probably won't harm the fish once it's cured, but the question would be how well would it hold? If you are concerned, you might consider applying a section of excess liner over the seam (maybe a half foot to a foot wide) or perhaps a strip of liner tape and use a different kind of sealant on the edges. Be aware that any bubbles or gaps in the two overlapped edges are prime spots for leaks. I tried overlapping a stream liner once, and it gave me fits until I yanked it out and replaced it. Some people have done it successfully, but I wasn't one of them, ;-).

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
New 50g pond in SE FL...fish & plant suggestions?
Hi, My SO just installed a new in-ground pond in our...
sumognat
New container water garden/fish pond
Hi everyone! We have wanted to create a water garden/fish...
Houndmom
betta anger issues
Hi guys. I have 3 bettas 1 male 2 female. The male...
clancy87
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™