Have question on pelleted seeds

gardenjen_ca(CA Zone 9)January 9, 2006

I just received some seeds from Stokes and two of them are pelleted - in clear plastic tubes. I was reading directions on back of pack and it sounds like you plant the whole darn thing...is this right?? I've never don't these before and am very confused...any info would be very much appreciated...thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crazymaisy

Pelleted seed have a coating around the seed for easier handling, the coating will eventually dissolve once it has been moisten.

Yes, just sow your seed and watch them grow ;)

Sharon

Bookmark   January 9, 2006 at 11:08PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

I've found the coating is sometimes reluctant to disappear and then the seed dosen't germinate, but if has been moist for a while it will be very soft and will just wash away with a quick spray or an overhead watering.

Bookmark   January 10, 2006 at 8:23AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Most seed used to start plugs for commercial growers are pelleted to adjust the size so they may be handled by machines. Planting them by hand would be the same whether pelleted or not. Al

Bookmark   January 12, 2006 at 9:49AM
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

But if by "the whole darn thing" you mean "plant the plastic tube with the pelleted seeds inside it," no -- take the pelleted seeds out of the tube and plant them.

Bookmark   January 12, 2006 at 11:51AM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Not only are pelleted seeds easier to handle either by hand or machine, some seed are so minuscule/ dust-size that a pelleted coating is best for this kind of seed.

Sharon

Bookmark   January 13, 2006 at 4:40AM
mylu

calistoga, Not sure where you get the "most seeds are pelleted" part. Most seeds we purchase are not pellet.
Out of the hundreds of varieties we purchase this year less then 5% are in pellets (if that many)

Seeds are in pellets because the are very small seeds. The coating is a clay. Easily dissolved. Do not bury the pellet. Small seeds that are in pellets need to be surface sowed. Once the pellet dissolves the seed will be setting nicely on your planting medium.

Bookmark   January 13, 2006 at 12:39PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

I agree, the coating is your friend, there is only a speck of dust inside! Pelleted is also done only for the more expensive seed. If you can get 1,000 seeds for a dollar, they won't be pelleted :)

Bookmark   January 13, 2006 at 2:22PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

mylu you did not read the whole sentence. Most seeds used to start plugs for commercial growers are pelleted to adjust the size so they may be handled by machines. A machine for automaticly seeding plug trays uses a revolving drum with small holes which a slight vacuum picks up one seed for each hole as it rotates in the seed container. When the row of holes each with one seed is over the tray with soil filled plugs the vacuum is released and each plug is seeded. This machine requires seed of uniform size and that is provided by pelleting the seed. Al

Bookmark   January 14, 2006 at 10:12AM
Woodstockfilms_msn_com

I just read above that a pelleted seed should be surface sown and not covered with soil? Is that correct. Would that be for all pelleted seeds?

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 5:59PM
redthreaddiy(6a MI)

I think you should surface sow them. I have petunia and impatiens that are pelleted seed, but they also require light to germinate. I'm worried, because the pellet is blocking all light! So - I would definitely surface sow, or, just break open the pellet with toenail clippers to get the seed to plant properly.

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 4:01PM
Millie5

Is the clay coating (or inert materials) generally ok to be considered "organic". What coating would not meet this requirement (to be organic.)

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 2:28PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Is the clay coating (or inert materials) generally ok to be considered "organic". What coating would not meet this requirement (to be organic.)

If you are a certified organic grower - the only instance where it would matter - then you'd have to contact your local certification agent to double check. But in most states yes, pelleted seed are approved for organic certification.

While there are some fungicide-treated/coated seeds that are not approved for certified organic growers to use, that is quite different from pelleted seeds. I can't think of any pelletized seed coating that wouldn't be considered "organic". The issue is not the coating but if your particular state approves their use for certified growers.

Dave

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
Need Help Starting Seedlings
Hi!! My name is Sunny. :) I joined your forum just...
sunnygirl55
Germination time for Lily of the Valley started indoors
As a newbie, this is my first year starting plants...
SnowStorm
Getting disappointed when planting zinnia from seed.
Okay, first of all, I live in a tropical country, the...
bpmontilla
Nepeta blue wonder
Hi there. I was curious to know if anyone has grown...
ponyexpress_1
growing peas
I can't seem to get a successful crop of peas.............any...
quiltsrcool
Sponsored Products
Combi Coccoro Car Seat - Cherry Pie - 8220100A
$199.98 | Hayneedle
Wild Bird Blend Suet Cakes - Set of 12
$12.99 | zulily
Furniture of America Huntington Upholstered Headboard - Espresso - IDF-7008HB-T
$219.99 | Hayneedle
Steel Blue Finesse Thermal Grommet Curtain Panel - Set of Two
$39.99 | zulily
Dale Tiffany Pendant Lights Jeweled Turtleback Hanging Mini Pendant TH11194
Home Depot