Spotted a new resident in the pond.....

hardin(7 SE OK)June 9, 2011

A couple weeks ago, I was working around the pond and out of the corner of my eye, I seen something moving. I looked and thought, "For real, a tiny turtle?" Well, time passed and I thought maybe I had imagined it. I seen it again and it is not much bigger than a fifty cent piece. I can't get close enough to see what kind it is, as when it spots me, it disappears under the rock. I know later when he is bigger he may cause some problems, but will he cause any major problems now being so small? I may try to get to his hiding spot, but that will take a little work. Wonder what he eats?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
groundbeef(5)

He will wander off. Turtles are nomads. At that stage he will eat bugs/worms etc. I think as they get older they become more dependant on plantlife.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 3:01PM
bulldinkie(pa)

fifty cent size icaught a 15" snapper heading to my koi pond This week,I caught him,a nasty nasty booger kept leaping towards me.I got him a huge bucket,put him in hubbys office.To think if my 2 jack russells would have found him, Oh my,heavy and stink wew

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 11:19PM
goodkarma_(5b)

Awww... I bet he's cute. Why not keep him for the summer and then relocate him in the early fall to a big pond somewhere. Or keep in for the winter in an aquarium with some lights and places he can sun himself. I have kept turtles and they are great fun. You need good filtration when they get bigger, but they are really nice to watch.

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 7:58PM
hardin(7 SE OK)

From the glimpses I've gotten he is rather cute. I am going to let him stay, although he may leave on his own. I built the pond for all those who wanted to visit, so its all good. If I have to move him, I do have a place he can go about a mile down the road, there is a large pond and as I did not 'introduce' him, I'd say he is likely a native.

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
Fountain pump clogging 170 gallon small pond- Help!
I have a very small 170 gallon pond system I bought...
ilovemilkbottles
Snake is eating my frog--Help!!
I looked out my second floor window and saw some movement...
Sara_in_philly
Frogs found dead in my pond
It's been a while, and I can't find anything on here...
rosenbarn
Inspiration and help sought - turning a 12,400 gal pool into a pond.
I'm fed up running my pool; expenses plus my wife and...
stewall
Identification of watercress vs upland cress
I have had watercress in my pond for many years and...
larryl
Sponsored Products
Purple Lizzy Shag Rug
$49.99 | zulily
New 5' 7" x 8' Hand Knotted Wool Splendid Design Ikat Uzbek Oriental Rug H3318
BH Sun Inc
3-Light Adjustable Mounting Flange for LED Accent Light
$42.00 | Lamps Plus
Orian Rugs Blinds & Shades Eclipse Rouge 7 ft. 10 in. Round Area Rug 238631
Home Depot
Jigsaw Rug by Mat-The-Basics
$422.00 | Lumens