using non clumping kitty litter for

MaeT(z5 NL, Canada)June 5, 2011

pond plants. I can't get clay soil here but have used Wal Mart Special Kitty Litter. However I need to buy more but can only find the stuff that says it has diatomaceous earth in it. Not sure if it would be safe to use in the pond. I have gold fish in my pond and don't want to use something that could make them sick or kill them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bethereen(7)

Use that stuff you put down on oil spills oil dry maybe, can't think of the name but search here and you will find it. I used it and it worked perfectly!!!

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 11:15PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Oil dry is what I use also, I think the quality is better than litter also cheaper.lol You;ll find it in the automotive dept. at Walmarts. gary

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 4:48AM
MaeT(z5 NL, Canada)

Thanks, I searched online and Oil Dri is in stock at our local Canadian Tire store. Going to go to Can Tire today and have a look at it.
Haven't checked Wal Mart yet but will probably check there to compare prices if they have it.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 8:25AM
MaeT(z5 NL, Canada)

Bought the OIl Dri and have my plants planted and put in pond. Wish I had known about it before. I have been looking everywhere for something to use for plants in my pond for a couple years.
BTW its more expensive than Kitty litter but thats not a problem since I am so happy to finally have found something.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 5:23PM
pcan

Being new to ponding (empty hole, no water yet) I am curious. Are you talking about using Oil Dri in pots for your plants or directly in the bottom of the pond?

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 10:18AM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

pcan, I believe we are talking about planting plants in pots filled with kitty litter/dryoil, I top dress my plants with kitty litter, it just looks nice to me. This year I accidentaly used the clumping yucky white cloudy nasty stuff, what a disaster!!!

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 11:53AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Oil Dri in pots for waterlilies and other marginals that like sticky clay soil like Iris.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 12:13PM
MaeT(z5 NL, Canada)

I am talking about planting plants in pots filled with Oil Dri. Only have my lilies left to be done. Just debating whether to do then or wait until next spring. I don't really want to disturb then now since they are starting to send up pads.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 4:00PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

If they are really crowded in their pots they won't bloom as well as they would after being divided.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 11:21AM
ponderpaul(7a)

a layer of bentonite clay (whatever product name)on the bottom of the pot, a handful of compost, place the tuber/crom etc. in and fill the pot w/bentonite --- works for me

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 4:43PM
MaeT(z5 NL, Canada)

After reading Buyorsell's post I decided to repot the lilies and so glad that I did. The pot was really crowded. I had enough in one pot to replant two pots and threw some in the garbage.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 7:38PM
jalal(z3/Canada)

Just a note here in Canada diatomaceous earth is a white powdery substance that is nontoxic to pets that we use to kill ants. Apparently it is very sharp and the ants love it but it cuts their insides to pieces so probably wouldn't be great for fish.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 1:58AM
More Discussions
Container water gardening step X step
Here's a weekend project for anyone that wants to add...
thepondfather
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
A deck window to my pond
Covered a portion of my pond with a deck so I decided...
thepondfather
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™