hardy hibiscus

whiteeaglesue(8)January 25, 2013

last year i saved seed from my hardy hibiscus and planted them and they all came up there wasnt alot of seed so this year i pollinated them and so i had lots of seed but this year so far out of 100 seed i got 2 up i didnt strat them but i didnt last year is it possible to over pollinate and the plants didnt have enough nutrients to make the seed be good i am really puzzled and any help would be appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Couple of possibilities come to mind. Did you scarify or nick the seeds? Perhaps they were harvested too early or not sufficiently dry? Weather last year - excessive heat can kill the embryo before harvesting.

Then there is different potting mix used this year? Different mixes have different water retention. The pollination issue - while it is somewhat surprising that you can grow hardys in your zone as they are notorious for not tolerating the heat, they are generally self-pollinating with some insect assistance. So I suppose it is possible that by hand-pollinating you 'might' have created some sterile seeds. But honestly, the odds of that are slim.

So I'd be much more inclined to lay it on the germinating conditions - something in them is different/off this year. Try making some adjustments in the soil temps, moisture levels, light exposure, etc. to see if it makes a difference. Dig up a few seeds to see if they have rotted. Try germinating a few in the baggie method (see FAQ) to see if they germinate.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I wouldn't give up on them yet either.

Dave

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 12:41PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

I don't think that you can "over-pollinate" the flowers. I get lots of pollinating insects, especially bumble bees, on my Hibiscus plants.

Have you tried a germination test? Roll up 4 or 5 seeds in a dampened paper towel, place the towel in a baggy and leave on the counter at room temp. Check in approx. 5 days to see if the seeds have swelled, a root is emerging, etc. Keep checking every couple days up to 2 weeks. If a root does emerge, you can go ahead and pot it up, using care not to damage the little seedling root.

Your Hibiscus plants could also be sterile. Do you know what variety you are collecting seed from?

Hibiscus seeds benefit from a 48-hour soaking prior to planting.

Let us know your progress!

Susan

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 10:38PM
whiteeaglesue(8)

Whoop they r all coming up now yea thanks everyone otherwise I would have thrown all I had planted away to guess I just didn't give em enough time

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Pinch or toss?
My sweet peas are leggy. Can I pinch them or should...
Loni Tabor
When to uncover seedlings?
I've successfully started seeds for years by bottom...
oldbuck
preventing algae/moss
I have very small fans blowing gentle air across my...
njitgrad
Light cycle for seedlings
Hi everyone! I'm on year 2 of starting my summer garden...
luckybees
Trouble growing beets
Does anyone know why my beet seedlings will germinate...
mtgs
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Lighting | Hardy Island 1536 LED Accent Light
$149.00 | YLighting
Handmade Flat Weave Moroccan Pattern Brown Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Hardy Chair - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Horizon Sage Green Hibiscus Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 7 In. Rug
$157.50 | Bellacor
Remer by Nameeks 319MO Handheld Shower Head - REMER 319MO
$23.00 | Hayneedle
Simple Living Carson 5-piece Dining Set
Overstock.com
Remer by Nameeks 315C3 Handheld Shower Head - REMER 315C3
$16.00 | Hayneedle
Pink Perennial Sun Garden Four-Root Set