Copper, algae, and toad pond

robin11034(7b Charlotte)June 21, 2011

I was over on another forum reading about bird baths. Someone on this forum suggested a place also for the birds and that they will also eat a lot of bugs, so I thought I would research what they might need ... but I digress. : )

Several on that forum were complaining about algae in their birdbaths. It was suggested to put pennies or a copper tube in the bird bath to reduce algae.

I had PLANNED on turning a copper watering can I have into a "spout" with the tubing going in the bottom and out the watering spout directed at the pond.

Because so many suggested that copper retards algae and I read on this forum that tadpoles eat the algae, should I use something else? I don't want to accidentally starve the little buggers.

Robin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I scrub my birdbaths with a brush and have never heard of putting copper in them to reduce algae.

I do know that copper is toxic to fish so I would not use it in my pond though I use it near my fishpond and my frog ponds with no ill effects.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 11:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Sorry, yes, tadpoles do eat algae that grows on the liner and rocks or whatever. They don't eat suspended pea soup type algae or big string algae.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
New container water garden/fish pond
Hi everyone! We have wanted to create a water garden/fish...
Houndmom
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
Tropical marginals dormancy
Two months ago I planted an Umbrella Palm and a Papyrus...
thepondfather
Waterlilies won't grow, leaves are small and curled
Hi all, I have waterlillies that until a year ago was...
reneek
New 50g pond in SE FL...fish & plant suggestions?
Hi, My SO just installed a new in-ground pond in our...
sumognat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™