Best time to start seeds

John_JJ(5)February 16, 2014

here the last frost date is may 10 and you put the plants out 2 weeks after the last frost date and that is may 24.
im planting tomatoes,bell peppers,and cucumbers. so do i start the tomatoes 8 weeks before the 10th or 24th?

tomatoes-8 weeks
peppers- 10 weeks
cucumbers- 4 weeks
?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Since they don't all get planted out at the same time anyway - peppers are slower to grow than tomatoes but require warmer soil than tomatoes - I'd use the 10 th date. Cucumbers work MUCH better when direct seeded.

Dave

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 1:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
art33(6)

Hi John,
Well, even though I grow mostly annual flowers, the terms used to suggest seed starting times are the same. Usually youâÂÂll see something like âÂÂStart your seeds 6 to 8 weeks before the last expected frost date in your area.â So, according to that, you would start your tomato seeds about 6 to 8 weeks before the 10th of May.
The reason for suggesting that you plant the seedling about 2 weeks after that last frost date is to give the soil time to warm up a bit. The seedlings need to be hardened off first anyway. Generally, if you wait until your night temperatures are staying above about 50 deg F, you should be safe to plant tomato seedlings outside. It could, of course, take more than 2 weeks after that last frost for that to occur.

Hope this helps,
Art

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Asparagus seedling help needed
So I'm growing Mary Washington from seed this year-...
beesneeds
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
What size cell to pot up?
Hello, longtime lurker here. I am growing vegetables...
shire38
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™