The cinnamon trick.

LullabyF360February 2, 2013

I was recently told that sprinkling cinnamon on a pepper seedlings that has begun to wilt or show signs of damping off will spruce it back up. It would also keep the ants away. Does anyone know if cinnamon could be used on other sproutlings? Are there some I can't use it on at all?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

You can use it on any seedling. How effective it may be is a whole other discussion.

Damp off fungus quickly circulates through the entire plant and destroys the cellular structure of the stem. So the odds of saving the plant is minimal and if it does survive it is with a very weakened circulatory system and chronic health issues.

Damp-off is easily prevented in the first place with proper watering techniques and adequate air circulation so that is the best route to take.

As to the ants - assuming they are not actually fungus gnats, I assume these are plants in the ground rather than in containers? Containers aren't normally bothered by ants. The solution is to discover why and where the ants are attracted from and eliminate that causes/source. Most ants are considered garden neutrals - do little to any harm to plants - so more details would be needed to address that issue.

Dave

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™