What 'houseplant' could be a pond plant?

lizmJune 25, 2011

I am in New York City and am carless. I can't get to anyplace that sells water plants right now. I'm wondering if there are any plants that are readily available in a nursery selling houseplants (I have several nearby) that I could stick in my little pond at least for a day or so at a time when I have people over, to camouflage the bit of liner that remains visible in my pond.

(By the way, I've sent away for water plants but they're always in an infantile state and I have to wait the entire summer for them to get full and lush. So I don't want to do that this year.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
serenae(6)

I think that you can use Calla lilies, especially the Zantedeschia Aethiopica variety, as well as Creeping Jenny, which does better hanging over the edge of the pond. I'm sure there are others, but those are the first ones that come to mind.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 12:13PM
timbersmith(6A)

Pothos (Epipremnum aureum) cuttings root and grow in plain water extremely easily, so I'm sure they could go in the pond. Just need to get them acclimated to the sun.

I've got some Iresine Herbstii (green stems with hot pink variegation in the leaves) that I had gotten at Lowes once before, and it's just like the Pothos when it comes to rooting and growing in water.

I've also heard about Calla lilies, but I think they're one where you can't plant them too deep in the water.

I've seen Sweet potato vines do extremely well in a pond alongside a waterfall.

I think a purple passion vine (Gynura aurantiaca) might work in the pond, but I'm not positive about that. The blooms don't smell very good, so pull those off first before you have anyone over.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 2:10PM
gardengimp(9B Seminole Cnty FL)

Mondo grass. Will grow along the edges or even totally submerged.

Society garlic, I have growing in shallow water. Calla lilies in shallow water. I've got some ferns growing along the rocks that are doing well so far.

If you can get to a pet store that sells fish and aquarium plants you can probably get some wisteria, cabomba, anarchis and such.

~dianne

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 4:03PM
annedickinson

Hosta, ajuna, chameleon plant, lysimacha (sp?) all do well in water too

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 4:22PM
corrie22

lizm, here's an article with a list of houseplants that you can grow in water, and how to do it........

Here is a link that might be useful: Houseplants that grow in water

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 6:04PM
lizm

Thank you so much, corrie22.

Here's a picture of my pond with its new plants:

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 7:42PM
corrie22

Liz, what a nice pond. I mean it, it looks like it was meant to be there.

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
My ponds with no liners
I dug these ponds with a rented bulldozer 30 years...
mikebotann
New UV ordered
This is my first time that I will use a UV lamp for...
hwarrick
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
Waterlilies won't grow, leaves are small and curled
Hi all, I have waterlillies that until a year ago was...
reneek
Spring is slowly getting here
It is 71 degrees outside and all the ice has melted...
frankielynnsie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™