how to sow ornamental grass seeds?

lovesblooms(7a)February 6, 2014

I'm wanting to start some purple fountain grass from seed. It's an annual here, but I'd like to have a large tuft for the year (maybe 3-4 feet around). I understand the basics of sowing it in tufts, but still unclear how to ensure I get a good size. Should I sow a 3- to 4-foot-square area, or will just 2 feet square spread as it grows? Should I sow several small plugs close together? What's the easiest way to do this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

In the nursery we grow them in 1" plugs of approx. 6-10 seeds. Then sow multiple plugs in the container or area to be filled. If you want a 3-4' base then you'll need over 1200 plugs!

A 2x2' base (approx. 550 plugs) will be approx. 3-3.5 feet spread to the top.

Dave

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 4:44PM
lovesblooms(7a)

Oh. Well that's a lot of plugs. Thanks for letting me know I'd only need a 2x2-foot base to get the effect I'm looking for. Would sowing larger plugs work out?

Also, I did find out that purple fountain grass doesn't come true from seed, but I have some maiden grass I'd like to try.

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 5:18PM
goblugal(7)

Dave - where the heck are you finding seeds of Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'???!!!

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 12:21PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Dave - where the heck are you finding seeds of Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'???!!!

Not. Oh Rubrum seeds are offered for sale out there but are a rip off. Not so much that they are sterile but 99% are harvested too early and aren't mature enough to be viable.

I should have been more clear that I was addressing the title of the post - sowing ornamental grass seeds in general.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubrum viability discussion

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 6:14PM
lovesblooms(7a)

Really? I got them in a trade and then threw them out thinking they were sterile. So how would I know they're mature?

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
Asparagus seedling help needed
So I'm growing Mary Washington from seed this year-...
beesneeds
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™