looking for Lisianthus tips

katkthmsFebruary 28, 2013

I am going to attempt to grow lisianthus from seed. I've heard it is particularly difficult to grow from seed. Any tips specific to lisianthus?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

I am not by any means an expert, but this is my third year growing them from seed. They are very very slow. Your post doesnt say what zone you are in, but where I am in WI, They need to be started very early.The first year I tried them I didnt begin until March, which meant I didnt get blooms until mid September. I had been warned that they can take 5-6 months to bloom, so I kept them in pots, instead of planting them in the ground. When frosts started hitting in October, I brought them inside and they continued to bloom well in the window.

Last year I began earlier, but still kept them in pots. I didnt care for them as well as I should have, several of them never developed stalks and blooms. THis year I got the seeds started Mid January, so I am planning on putting them in one of my beds and hoping that they will do better than they have in pots. At 6 weeks old they are still tiny, just beginning to develop their second set of true leaves. 4-5 of them in a 2" pot still have plenty of room. I found this page very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lisianthus

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 7:02PM
mandolls(4)

Here is another link that is less geared for the professional grower

Here is a link that might be useful: Lisianthus

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 7:11PM
naturemitch(3/4 WI)

Sounds good Mandolls. I have grown them a couple of times and I too am far from an expert. They take a LONG time.

They take awhile to germinate and take forever to get any size. Watching how you water is of utmost importance...DO NOT overwater, very easy to do because of their size.

You might be too late in starting seed this season, I am not sure of your zone. I started mine a few weeks ago and will need the time to get any size on them before they go in the ground in late May.

Good luck!

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
Question on Growing Herbs from Seed
How's everybody doin'? Switichin' to shorts down here. I...
csrain
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
planting fresh seeds
hi everyone, i have a question regarding fresh seeds,...
irameez
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™