seed leaves fell off!

debbiekim(6)February 20, 2010

hi everyone,

i need your help! a few of the seeds sprouted without their seed leaves. so basically it's just the stem. are those plants still going to be able to grow true leaves? or should i just start over?

some seem to be stuck in the seed and for the other ones, the seed leaves just fell off. help!!

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleepy33(5b KS)

What kinds of seeds are they? What are they planted in? Are they under lights? Are they covered with a dome/plastic wrap/baggie/other? Need way more details! :)

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 5:28PM
oilpainter(3)

Often a plant comes up with the seed casing still attached, and will grow and eventually pop it off. I've seen tomatos come up with the seed case attached to the 2 seed leaves. With some plants, sometimes it is just a stem with a ball on top. That ball turns into leaves.

However it it looks like the stem is broken then you have a problem with the soil. It is too hard to allow the seed leaves to pop up out of the soil and it breaks the stem.

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 7:48PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree with oilpainter that there is likely a problem with your soil apparently. Either it is too coarse, too hard, or too surface dry. One or the other is snapping the stems and not letting the seed coat soften enough to pop open. What potting mix are you using? Another possible cause is not planting the seeds deep enough.

Are these old seeds. That will sometimes happen with dessicated (dry) seeds and in that case pre-soaking can help.

The ones that are just stems won't survive.

Dave

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 11:15PM
calistoga_al

Be sure your plants are not being eaten by slugs, who are really good at removing seed leaves, without leaving a trace. Al

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 9:49AM
debbiekim(6)

thanks, everyone!

they were joe pye weed seeds in seed starting mix. some of them have sprouted and are looking good. i think the surface may have been too dry.

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
Growing Japanese Maple Seeds (Acer Palmatum) How? & Dealing w/ mold?
Hi, so recently I just got some Japanese maple seeds...
rinlearning
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™