Pet Question.......

cugal(5b-6a NE Ks)February 16, 2014

Prolly in the wrong forum......

Fertilizing pets @ half strength [URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/gltrap54/media/007_zps87eae8a4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/gltrap54/007_zps87eae8a4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

We just don't have nearly enough information to give you an answer. Your links (when properly deciphered from the raw code you posted) show chickens, which may be pets but don't need fertilizer (they produce it).

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 5:39PM
art33(6)

Hi fugal,

Too much nitrogen would be my guess. Half strength 20-20-20 is the same as full strength 10-10-10. Way too much fertilizer! Actually, for seedlings that small you may not need any fertilizer at all (depending on the growing medium). If the growing medium has absolutely no form of fertilizer, I usually do add just a very small amount of water soluble fertilizer. Seedlings that small should have no more than about 100 or 150 ppm (parts per million) nitrogen. Using 20-20-20, that means about one half teaspoon per gallon of water :-)
You probably should flush the growing medium by adding water until it runs out the bottom of the container. This would help remove any excess salts that have accumulated due to over fertilizing. Actually, at this point, IâÂÂd probably transplant the seedlings into their own small pots. You could use a growing medium that contains enough nutrients to feed the plants until theyâÂÂre planted outside (Scotts Miracle-Gro potting mix for example). That way, you wouldnâÂÂt have to worry with fertilizing at all.

Just my opinion of course,

Art

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 6:54PM
cugal(5b-6a NE Ks)

Thanks again Art! I'm sure you're spot on here......... Rookie mistake! I was prolly using 2x the correct amount! I'll try flushing some of the salts out in hopes of salvaging some of them..... :(

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 10:05PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

It sounds like Art may be correct with his GUESS (since you confirm that you over fertilized). However, I still don't think we really know, because I doubt you really have an accurate way of estimating how much fertilizer was actually applied. If you "feel" that you did over fertilize, then by all means see if you can flush a little through the growing medium. But, with the information we have so far, about all we know for sure is that you used some fertilizer and that have a picture of chickens.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 12:50AM
mandolls(4)

I use 1/4 strength 10-10-10 on my petunias. You say watering isn't the issue, but when I see yellowing seedlings, my fist though is over watering.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 7:40AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree with mandolls - over-watering. No doubt you are over-fertilizing but you are also over-watering them. The varying turgidity in the leaves shows that to be the case.

Dave

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 10:27AM
cugal(5b-6a NE Ks)

Thanks mandolls & dig dirt for your input! In my own defense, I had just watered before taking the pic...... That said, I do struggle with ProMix retainging moisture (which is what it's supposed to do)...... I've taken to using a small fan for air circulation as well as helping dry the media....

The over fertilizing thing is a more glaring mistake...... Don't have any excuses to offer on that one other than ignorance... :)

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 1:36PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Glad I could be of help, Cugal!

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 9:56AM
More Discussions
Nasturtium from seed
hi, i'm currently planting some nasturtium seeds (about...
rosche
Asparagus seedling help needed
So I'm growing Mary Washington from seed this year-...
beesneeds
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
Growing Japanese Maple Seeds (Acer Palmatum) How? & Dealing w/ mold?
Hi, so recently I just got some Japanese maple seeds...
rinlearning
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™