Camellia Sinensis Germination

Duncan_ForsterFebruary 5, 2014

I have planted about 40-45 tea seeds in a tray planter indoors with a humidity dome and a germination mat. They were all properly prepared. My question is: How often should I water them? At the moment a fair amount of condensation has built up on the inside of the dome, I'm assuming this is normal? Also, how much light do they need? I unfortunately do not have a grow light, would a simple halogen lamp suffice? I'm growing these in my dorm room and the lights are fluorescent, will this be a problem at all?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
art33(6)

Hi Duncan_Forster and welcome to GardenWeb!

Well, IâÂÂve never grown tea plants before but a quick check on the web indicates that the seeds should be planted one inch deep. That means they donâÂÂt need any light, until they germinate (which should take between one and two months). So for now, donâÂÂt worry about lighting.

As for watering, there should be very light condensation on the inside of the dome. If the condensation runs down the side of the dome, youâÂÂll know youâÂÂre keeping things too wet. Since the seeds take so long to germinate, youâÂÂll have to be very careful about not over-watering. It would probably be helpful to remove the dome altogether for awhile, when you're home and can watch that the germinating medium doesnâÂÂt dry out too much.

For warmth, I understand that the medium should be kept between 70 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hope this is helpful and I wish you the best with the tea plants!

Art

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 6:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Duncan_Forster

Ah, thanks so much, that answers my question! It seems I may have watered them a little much so I'll remove the dome and let the soil dry out a bit before replacing it. Thanks for the help, all of the internet sources I looked at were rather unclear about watering.

All the best,
Duncan

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Question on sowing seed indoors using starter kit
Hi Everyone - I'm a noob gardener and am attempting...
sistereinstein (Z5a WI)
Will my morning glory's lose legginess if i put them outside?
I planted morning glory seeds inside on a window about...
tlbean2004
Question about growing from seed in small greenhouse
Hi everyone, I bought a small greenhouse from Ocean...
mcolangelo1221
Problem diagnosis - Please Help!!
I am having an issue where my seedling's leaves are...
Andy Keels
Help! Pro-mix BX and green algae
This is my first time to use Pro-mix BX. I kept hearing...
BloomCin Zone 6b North Jersey
Sponsored Products
Williamsburg Christmas Garland Christmas Decor
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Camellia Floral Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Camellia Sage
$42.38 | Home Depot
Vig Furniture - Camellia - Modern Power Reclining Leather Sofa...
Great Furniture Deal
Lady Camellia Covered Jar
The City Farm
Linon Southern Living Collection Rosedown Camellia - RUG-SLSG2523
$45.50 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™