help need growig bell peppers

vegfingersFebruary 7, 2014

Hi everyone,
I am new to the gardening scene. But I could do with some help. I have got some bell pepper seeds in a plastic tub with some wet paper towel but they don't seem to be doing anything. I have got the on my dinning table what is but a heater. They have been there for about week but I don't no if I should keep going with them or if I should throw them away ad start again. If anyone can help me I would be very grateful thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
art33(6)

Hi vegfingers and welcome to GardenWeb!

Well, I donâÂÂt grow vegetables, just flowers. However, I do know that bell peppers have a really hard seed that can take awhile to germinate. So donâÂÂt give up on them already!

IâÂÂve read that it can take as little as 8 or 10 days or as long as 3 weeks to germinate the seeds, depending on the temperature. DonâÂÂt know how warm your seeds are by that heater but you might want to try for about 80 degrees F. (27 deg C).

Hope this is helpful,

Art

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 5:11PM
Syntria(8a)

Keep trying with them.

My tomatos germinated in like 2-3 days, many of my peppers took closer to 15-20 days. None of mine had germinated in 7 days.

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 12:24AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Pepper and eggplant seeds take longer time to germinate at low temperature. The optimum is 85F (+/- 5F). At 85F i have germinated hot pepper seeds in about 6 days. Minimum is about 65F, at which temperature might take 3 weeks to germinate. Tomatoes require less heat and the cool crop seeds are even less demanding.

So the general rule is that the colder the germinating medium is, the longer it will take.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 6:42AM
raycatelan

Here is another method for you to study about how to plan vegetable

Here is a link that might be useful: shop vouchers

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 4:16AM
More Discussions
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
Do not use Miracle Grow Potting Soil for seed starting!
We decided to use some leftover Miracle Grow Potting...
cmonkey
Help with germination!
Hello all! I have a question! I started some of my...
countryladies14
snaps zone 7
So it's that time. I had moderate success with snapdragons...
Emily Carter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™