sawdust as medium for sprouting?

four(9B (near 9a))February 22, 2014

Does 100% sawdust work well?

If so, then does it matter whether it comes from natural wood
or from commercial lumber?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Unusual question. Does someone recommend this? Nothing grows in sawdust for good reason, plain or even mixed with other materials.

The wood dust binds up all the nitrogen to aid it in decomposition including leaching the nutrients out of the seed coat that the young seedlings need to survive. And if it did work yes, it would have to be sawdust from plain, natural, chemically untreated lumber. Most commercial lumber is treated in some fashion.

Dave

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 6:28PM
dowlinggram

As usual Dave is right on the money. Sawdust leaches all the nutrients out of any plant. The only good use for sawdust in the garden is to add it to the compost heap but only if you know it's not treated in some way like chippings from a downed tree. Otherwise it is best to send it to the landfill or use it on paths away from any plantings

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 2:00PM
four(9B (near 9a))

Thank you for the replies,
on the strength of which I dismiss my tentative thought of trying it.

( Before I posted the question, I had searched GW for information. I cite the
following only as a for-whatever-it's-worth perspective, given the different condition.
"...sawdust (several years old).... seeds germinated, and within a couple of weeks were 6 TIMES (Yes I measured them!) larger than the seedlings in the flats"
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/seed/msg0214050315097.html )

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 12:47AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Comments taken out of context can often be very misleading. As was pointed out in that discussion of potting mixes, that individual was having a number of problems with their methods.

The important distinction in that thread is that it was well rotted sawdust - several years old - mixed with compost.

While we don't have anyway of knowing the ratio of compost to rotted sawdust that one person used we can guess that it was predominately compost as it was used to fill an in-ground bed.

The primary point was how well rotted it was. Any sawdust, over years of time time, will break down to the point where it no longer binds up nitrogen and becomes a neutral soil amendment. Does that mean it should be used to start seeds? No,

You didn't stipulate the age of the sawdust in your original post.

Hope this clarifies.

Dave

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
growing peas
I can't seem to get a successful crop of peas.............any...
quiltsrcool
Bunny Tail grass seedling
I start Bunny Tail grass indoor. I put them near windowsill....
chipeony
Light cycle for seedlings
Hi everyone! I'm on year 2 of starting my summer garden...
luckybees
Help! Pro-mix BX and green algae
This is my first time to use Pro-mix BX. I kept hearing...
BloomCin Zone 6b North Jersey
Should I pot up or go straight to garden?
Do I need to pot up my seedlings? I have a pretty successful...
minuet_7a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™