What is this in my garden?

gardening10(11)July 20, 2014

Hi
I purchased the crowns from Walmart for these plants. They were advertised as being for ever bearing strawberries. The bigger they got the more I realized that these aren't strawberry plants. Does anyone know what these are?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

That's some sort of Persicaria. (In many places they appear as Polygonum, but they were re-classified as Persicaria.)

Has it had spikes of tiny flowers? Colors vary from fluorescent pink to pink to pale pink to white, depending which species it is.

Pennsylvania smartweed (Persicaria pensylvanicum) seems to be one of the most common:
http://essmextension.tamu.edu/plants/plant/smartweed/

Many others are listed here, often with photographs:
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/search.php?start=50&pagecount=50

It's difficult to imagine a Persicaria could ever be confused (by the grower or packer) for a strawberry crown: the leaves are majorly dissimilar. I'd assume the strawberry died, and a Persicaria seed sprouted -- either from whatever was in the bag with the "strawberry crowns" or a stray seed from your yard or in your planting medium.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 12:08AM
gardening10(11)

As a matter of fact is does have white flowers up at the top. I cant believe that all three crowns died and these sprouted instead...my luck. Thank you for your help! Any idea on where I can buy great strawberry plants online?

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 10:15AM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Sorry, but I can't help about online strawberries. Have you tried strawberries in pots at a local nursery (or even a big-box store)? That would be more expensive than bare-root crowns ... but strawberries do spread quickly.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 10:55AM
gardening10(11)

Awesome, I was able to find some on Amazon. Thank you so much. Hopefully this is the last time I plant weeds.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
Identifying hedge plant, and why its going brown?
I have many of these evergreen hedges around my garden...
Vivre
Help ID the 4 Plants in this flower bed
I am trying to ID the plants in this bed. I'm fairly...
btalarczyk
what sort of mushroom?
I promise I have no intention of trying to ingest this...
toad_ca
Mini "weed" growing in a pot ID
Pot was outdoors all summer. Growing in a pot indoors...
true_blue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™