Are my seedlings salvageable?

badmajonFebruary 25, 2013

I seem to have a profound inability to do things right the first time, I did not put my seedlings under light because I mistakenly thought they did not need any light until the first true leaves appeared. I have no idea where I got this stupid notion.

Anyway, they are all leggy now. My squash seeds are 4 inches, my tomatoes almost 3 as you can see in the picture. Should I just throw these away and start over?

Now they are under light. Ugh.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

I think starting over might be a better option. Just my opinion. Did you have a humidity dome over the flat to help germinate the seeds? Once they break ground is when they go under the lights only an inch or two above the plants and they no longer need the heat mat. What is the electrical cord for in the cell on the right? Also, is there a significance to the carpenters square laying on the flat? Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

You can salvage them by transplanting them DEEPLY into new containers if you wish. You bury all that exposed stem right up to just below the leaves. New roots will develop.

Then set them under the light and lower it so that it is just a 1/2" above the top of the tallest plant.

Otherwise, start over.

Dave

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
Blue Globe Thistle Seed Germination
Help! I so want to grow Blue Globe Thistle. I have...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™