Twilight Zone Grandiflora

Suzi AKA DesertDanceJanuary 15, 2014

I went to a local nursery looking for roses. They didn't have what I wanted, but they suggested Twilight Zone. I bought it. It's one of those bare roots that they potted, and they sold me potting mix full of good stuff like all kinds of bone and other meal.

I am not sure where to plant it. It's a grandiflora. Not sure what that means.

I love Veterans Honor, and have 3 of those. I love, Our Lady of Guadalupe and have 2 of those. Just ordered a couple on line because the local nursery's stock looked diseased. I ordered Tuscan Sun and Moondance Floribunda. I like the floribundas for the constant color they provide. Our Lady of Guadalupe is one.

I'm worried that this Twilight Zone will grow really tall, so I need to figure out where to put it.

Any info on this breed will be welcome!

Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kstrong(10 So Cal)

Nope -- it's not a tall grower -- 4 feet, maybe. But a really nice rose in many ways, especially the nifty color.

Grandifloras is something a marketing person once made up to mean a cluster blooming plant that had blooms in the fashion of a hybrid tea. It really means nothing nowadays. Grandifloras are pretty much interchangeable with hybrid teas in terms of growing habit.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 11:35PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Looking forward to seeing the nifty color, as you describe it. I'm going to put that Tuscan Sun near it because the pop of coral and purple is one of my favorites!

Thanks for the grandiflora information. I had no idea!

Suzi

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 10:26AM
kingcobbtx9b

Twilight Zone is a great rose. Pretty bloom nice scent. It tends to hold its purple better than say Ebb Tide. However, ET tends to explode with more blossoms but TZ's blooms are bigger.

Great rose you should be happy with it.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 11:15AM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

I think Twilight Zone would look great next to Tuscan Sun. Yellows, blends, and oranges are a natural fit next to purples, I think. Diane
Here's TZ near Julia Child and yellow perennials.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 3:07PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

You are in zone 7, and me 9a or Sunset 19. It might be hotter here. Your garden looks so lush! The only things really lush here are fig trees!

I'm happy you think Tuscan Sun will be a good pairing with it.

Thanks!

Suzi

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 7:38PM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

It's not lush here at all--it's a desert. We get less than 10 inches of total precipitation a year. It's also very hot and dry during the summers here (had a day reach 113 last summer). Diane

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 8:32PM
Heatwave2000

I am new to growing roses. For my first rose bought this Beautiful Twilight Zone at my local nursery. It's first blooms in the pot were absolutely gorgeous (see picture). Big and Fluffy, almost a match in color for the tag, and a wonderful fruity smell, that was so strong, all you had to do was walk by, and you could smell the flowers.

However, since planting, though producing multiple clusters of buds, the buds and flowers are now weak and tiny, and not full or fluffy anymore. And the color went from gorgeous purple, to a darkish pink. I read the you are supposed to cut off the spent flowers, down to the first 5 leaf branch, unless it's a multiple bud cluster, then only cut off the dead flower. I've tried that, now there are almost no blooms at all. I'm in Austin, TX, and it's pretty hot here, already some days in the 90's. I don't know if that's the problem. I am so sad, and hope it's just the shock of the transplant, and that it will recover.

I bought another, beautiful coral/pink/yellow rose, that I'm now afraid to plant, because of what has happened my poor Twilight Zone.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 1:50PM
seeingreen

heatwave2000, I have Twilight Zone and it is my favorite but when the temps rise the rose has a tendency to create smaller lighter mauve colored blooms. This rose generally tends to be lighter colored in hotter regions anyway. If you have one in the pot, I would keep it there till next spring. Roses can survive fine in containers without damaging them and it also makes it easier to move them to better locations that may suit your rose better. I would bet that TZ would do best in some afternoon shade....possibly on a porch?

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 7:55PM
Heatwave2000

Thank you "seeingreen". It's already been planted, but now I kind of wish I had kept it in the pot. It was doing really well in the pot. Since cutting down to the 1st five leaf branches, when cutting off the dead flowers, I have no new buds. I hope it makes it through our scorcher Texas summers, and maybe it will bloom better next year... because it really was a beautiful plant. I have planted my other rose too, it also has not re-bloomed since planting. But I am hopeful. I will try your advise for growing them in a pot for my next attempt :-D. Thank you!

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 9:44PM
seeingreen

Welcome, and good luck with the roses!!! Twilight Zone is worth the effort :D

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 11:44PM
buford(7 NE GA)

I saw Twilight Zone yesterday at a Rose Show (best Grandiflora) and it was amazing.

I have Ebb Tide, and mine stays purple because I have it in part shade. In the hotter weather, if the rose gets a lot of sun, the color will fade. Especially in hotter zones in the South. If you have a spot that can get some afternoon shade, that would be ideal.

Most roses will slow down in 90 degree heat. Not much you can do about that. Just make sure they are watered well.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 6:48AM
More Discussions
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Old Rose Seminar, May 2, 2015 San Juan Bautista, CA
By tomorrow, I hope to have this up on the Heritage...
jerijen
Roses from highcountry roses - really disappointed
I received my roses from highcountryroses today. It...
bluehaven_gweb
Simplicity-Even a bad rose sometimes can be good
Simplicity is overall a rose best skipped. But it has...
Kippy
Does Anyone Grow Rina Hugo?
This is a new rose in my garden, and one I'd never...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™