Water Striders

annedickinsonJune 21, 2011

I have always liked water striders. This year I have an over abundance of them. I introduced fish a couple of weekends ago and I have to laugh when I feed the fish. The water striders each grab a piece of fish food and stride off to their own space to eat on it. I had never noticed this behavior before so I just googled Water Striders.

One of the favorite foods of water striders is mosquito larva; my thinking goes like this: there were MILLIONS of mosquito larva in the pond before I got the fish so there was an abundance of water striders to feast on them. Now I have fish, which have eaten up the mosquito larva, so the water striders are hungry.

Ergo: they are stealing the fishies food!!!

I may be rationalizing this wrong, but I like the thought. They get their food and the fish get theirs.

Anne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggery(z8)

Dunno, but I like the thought, too =] Hey, hey...as long as everyone's belly is full, all is well, yes? I love to watch the Jesus Bugs as we call 'em here in the deep south.

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 7:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annedickinson

Are Water Striders and Jesus Bugs the same thing? OH, I get it... DUH... walk on water = Jesus Bugs. hahaha

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Tropical marginals dormancy
Two months ago I planted an Umbrella Palm and a Papyrus...
thepondfather
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
Waterlilies won't grow, leaves are small and curled
Hi all, I have waterlillies that until a year ago was...
reneek
New container water garden/fish pond
Hi everyone! We have wanted to create a water garden/fish...
Houndmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™