Water Test Kits

chris_in_ctJune 14, 2010

Can someone recommend some good test kits and where they can be purchased at a reaonable price online?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccoombs1(7B SC)

the tetra pond master test kit is really good. and it's pretty cheap as well. I use this one all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: tetra pond test kit

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 8:55PM
cweathersby

Good question. Thanks for asking. I needed to know that too.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 10:07PM
drh1(z4b/5a)

I would recommend staying away from the test strips (specially the pH type). They tend to be inaccurate and have a rather short shelf-life based on my experiences. The liquid types may be a bit more expensive but have better accuracy, and cost lest per test over the long run. I've had very good luck with Aquarium Pharmaceutical products - an example of a Google search for price is shown below. Whenever I have tested them against published laboratory/research methods they've agreed quite well. The tendency is to buy a kit for testing everything you can think of :-)) but eventually you'll find which measurements ... and how often you'll need to do them ... work best for your situation. Hope this helps.
---David

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search for Aquarium Pharmaceutical pH test kit

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 10:49PM
ccoombs1(7B SC)

Be aware that ALL test kits should be replaced yearly. The regents in them can go bad, making test results inaccurate. You don't need to buy a complete new kit, just replacement regents.

Also be aware that there are two kinds of ammonia test kits. One reads only the unbound ammonia (the kind that can still hurt the fish) and the other reads ALL ammonia, including ammonia that has been rendered harmless by ammonia binders. For most purposes, you will want to use a Salicylate type test kit. Here's a link that describs each type of test kit.

Here is a link that might be useful: ammonia test kit info

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 8:08AM
More Discussions
Question about pond vacs
I have a 300 gallon stock tank, sunk in the ground...
catherinet
Herron attack
Just want to vent. The day before Christmas I went...
Mike56
Rubbermaid Stock Tank Problems
I have a 100-gallong rubbermaid stock tank. When it...
buckhornstables
Fountain pump clogging 170 gallon small pond- Help!
I have a very small 170 gallon pond system I bought...
ilovemilkbottles
Making Mechanical Prefilter for submersible pump
My medium sized pond is currently using the Savio watermaster...
supahenzi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™