should I remove cover and heat after germination?

Namaste4you(9)February 3, 2014

I sowed heliotrope seeds on a windowsill with a heating mat and plastic cover. Now that they have germinated, should I remove the heating mat as well as the cover? It gets down to about 60 degrees in that spot at night. Also, should I remove the cover as soon as I see the tiniest sprout or let get a little bigger? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
art33(6)

Normally, the heat mat and cover should be removed after the seeds have germinated, even if the sprouts are small. In fact, some folks never use the cover at all. If a person can make sure the soil doesnâÂÂt dry out, itâÂÂs probably actually best not to use a cover.

If the air temperature gets down to 60 degrees at night, the soil temperature will be lower than that. However, I donâÂÂt think that would be a problem at all. Are you figuring on leaving the plants on the windowsill, with no other source of light? I doubt theyâÂÂll really get enough light that way. If you could move them off of the windowsill and under a fluorescent light set-up of some kind they would be much better off.

Art

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 12:58AM
Namaste4you(9)

Thanks Art, I will work on getting a light system!

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 1:09AM
Syntria(8a)

You can get two T8 bulbs and a standalone fixture at lowes/home depot for about 30 dollars total. I've got mine set up infront of a window and the fixture as well on a timer, so its only on during the day so my neighbors don't get mad at me lol. I hope its enough light for them to thrive. (Note the seedlings should be much closure to the light, within an inch or two. The bulbs don't get hot)

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 10:49AM
art33(6)

ThereâÂÂs an interesting older post (see link below) about heat mats. Probably should have included that in my first post.

Art

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat Mats

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 12:03PM
Namaste4you(9)

Thanks Art and Syntria for the great responses!

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
Do not use Miracle Grow Potting Soil for seed starting!
We decided to use some leftover Miracle Grow Potting...
cmonkey
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
Best websites/catalogs to order from for seed?
What are your favorite websites or catalogs to order...
sarcastichousewife
Growing Chesnuts from nut
This time last year I bought about four chestnuts from...
mccommas
Squash and Cucumber - Started Too Early
I started some plants indoors under a t5 grow light...
PollenClouds
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™