How does one water plants from the bottom?

longknife(4 Way Upstate NY)February 16, 2011

I will be using a trays of 6-pack containers (10 total per tray). I haven't started to plant seeds yet, just getting ready. I have read some posts where members said they water from the bottom. Is this the most desireable method of watering? I'm not sure how to do this. How much water do you pour in? Does it stay a while then get dumped out? How often? etc. I was hoping someone can enlighten me as to how this is done properly so I don't make a mess of things. Thanks In Advance, John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockguy(7a)

To water from the bottom your pots or flats need drainage holes. Then you need a container for the water of a slightly larger size, like another 10/20 with no holes. Then put water in the bottom one and dip the tray with the seedlings into it for a few seconds. You can tell by the heft when it has taken up some water, don't let it sit in the water long.

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 6:44AM
keriann_lakegeneva(5B WI/IL border)

I agree with the above post for the most part.

I do the same method, and I pour in about 1 /2 inch of water and let the seedlings suck up the water for 5-10 minutes. I just wait until the top glistens and then I pull it out and pour the excess water out of the �watering� container.

Only water your seedlings when they are 75% dry. The seedlings will feel very light and you can poke your finger into the soil to check if it is moist. Moist soil sticks to your finger. When in doubt, it is not dry enough. The main thing is not to let your seedlings sit in water for hours or over night.

How often will depend on the above factors. Seedlings will tell you when to water. Some of mine are once a week and some are daily when they get larger.

Just remember to plant your seeds in moist soil to begin with, by mixing it in a bucket with water apposed to bottom watering.

I hope that helps

Keriann~

Have fun!!

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 7:00AM
Waltersjn(8)

Thanks all for the info. I have been trying to propagate jades with no luck. I now realize that I was bottom watering incorrectly - letting them constantly sit in a saucer of water.

Bookmark   December 31, 2011 at 9:32PM
calistoga_al

I was able to find a stainless steel sink with large drain area on both sides, that had been removed from a lab. It is large enough to take a whole flat of sixpacs. My bottom heating bench, kept at 70 degrees tends to dry the soil very fast, and while using it I need to be able bottom water frequently. As soon as possible after germination I move off the heat. Al

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™