Mushrooms edible?

LoveLilacs10(3)August 6, 2014

Hi can someone please tell me if these are edible? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I can't id your fungi but I would seriously urge you not to contemplate eating any fungi identified by someone on the internet or from a picture. The only safe way is to go out with someone who really knows what they are doing and can identify the mushroom in the flesh.

    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 6:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I absolutely agree with floral. The identification of mushrooms can be difficult enough in person, let alone from one photograph. Mistakes can be costly.

    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 6:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RugbyHukr(23)

The only safe bet on wild mushrooms is morels. Nothing poisonous looks like morels.

They favor growing near fallen oaks. Saute with butter and wild ramps or onions... mmmmmmmmmm

    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucille(Houston)

If you have to ask, don't eat it.
Apprentice yourself to a mushroom gathering group, and gain experience.

    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Absolutely NOT! Not without a lot more information from you and an examination - by an experienced person - of the mushrooms and their gills and spores.

The only good novice mushroom hunter does his/her hunting in the supermarket produce aisle.

And the wannabe mushroom hunter joins a local mushroom hunting group, learns the local edible and toxic species, and collects cautiously. Many Asian immigrants have died on the USA's west coast because their prized edible mushroom is a look-alike for the deadly Amanita of the coastal woodlands.

Most poisonous mushrooms kill your liver ... lack of liver killes you, slowly and horribly.

We have a few absolutely YUMMY local species ... and one nasty one that looks a lot like that picture you posted. Not lethal, bland tasting, but 'emetic' ... as in you barf for several hours.

    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aurorawa(8B)

rugbyhukr, there are actually several toxic mushrooms (called false morels, for good reason) that resemble morels. Verpa morels and beefsteak morels are just two of them. Verpas can look IDENTICAL to the untrained mushroom collector! See link for proof.

LoveLilacs10, those who have posted cautioning you not to take the world wide web's advice regarding the safety of mushrooms, are absolutely correct!

Here is a link that might be useful: False Morel

    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirt_farmer(6)

There isn't enough in that picture to say they are edible or not.
If i had to guess I would say no.
If for some reason you decide to eat wild mushrooms always save one or two of them in the refrigerator in case you get poisoned. That way the hospital can identify what kind of poisoning you have and how to treat it. Otherwise it can be mostly guessing and treating symptomatically.
And even though some wild mushrooms are safe to eat everyone can have their own allergic reactions to that safe mushroom. So always start with a very small portion. That includes morels as well.
If you cant find a mushroom club around you try talking to farmers. A lot of farmers were brought up gathering edibles from their land to supplement the dinner table.

    Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 12:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RugbyHukr(23)

I grew up with country folk eating "true" and "false" morels to no ill effect. As stated in the article you linked, "reports of poisoning in susceptible individuals".

And instead of dying you get:

"These mushrooms can cause some people to have cramps or other forms of gastrointestinal distress."

    Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 9:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aurorawa(8B)

Doesn't matter, to be honest. You should never eat a plant or mushroom, if you don't know the identity. Even if all you get are cramps and gastrointestinal distress. For some individuals (like myself), gastrointestinal distress can actually exacerbate existing conditions that ARE fatal. Who wants to test susceptibility? I'd rather not risk my life.
Also, there are false morels that have FATAL levels of the MMH toxin.
It is just not wise.

Here is a link that might be useful: MMH

    Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 6:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Agree...never eat fungi that you don't know 150% is edible.

    Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 7:01PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
maufie123
Seedlings ID
Could anyone please tell me what plants these seedlings...
unrama Z11 India
Help identifying.
Pretty sure bottom one is Virginia bluebells
kmsimmons
Name that plant/cacti??
I got this and have no clue what it is. It started...
GartenZwerg
Can someone ID this "weed"?/ plant?
I have this 'ground cover' growing prolifically outside...
sizwizz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™