Soil blocks-ABC's and recipes

Cash321(5)March 7, 2012

I would appreciate any guidance from fellow gardeners on the use of seed blocks. I have read the older trails on peat pots. And would like to make my own blocks as peat pots appear to be the scourge of seed starting!

I bought a metal, medium 4 block maker and request recipes for successful soil mixtures. I live in East Kingston, NH in zone 5 and have installed the first 3 of 6 planned raised beds filled with super soil /compost mix from a local landscapers supply depot.

Thank you in advance for any tips or guidance.

P.S. if anyone has good history on the last frost date I would appreciate that as well.

Warm regards and blessings to the seedlings

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greencubes

Hi there! Detailed information about soil blocks and soil blocking mix recipes can be found at PottingBlocks.com click the 'Blocking Mix' button on the top of the home page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Soil Blocks

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 2:44PM
macky77(2a)

I'm using the blockers for the first time here, too. I've been referencing Eliot Coleman's recipe for the blocks, but have not been able to find a few of the ingredients here, so I've had to make substitutions. I haven't been doing it long enough to say whether the mix is "successful" or not, though. The blocks are forming well, but that's all I can report at this point. :)

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 6:48PM
Cash321(5)

@Greencubes: thank you I will look up the book.
@Macky77: thank you. I read your other post re: the seed locks as well.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 6:23AM
Junglerott(Z6)

Making some blocks for the first time tonight using the micro 20. I'm using Eliot Colemans recipe with Azomite instead of glacial rock dust. The ingredients are tough to find. I have not seen any info on planting depth for the micro 20. I am planting spinach in the micro 20 dimple which usually go 1/4 inch deep. Should be interesting.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
Time for some early seed starting!
Got my seeds today. In about a week or so I will start...
Peter1142
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™