what are they? pics

koijoyii(NE Ohio)June 10, 2010

Koi? Goldies? I have koi and one shubunkin in my pond.

Some are 1/2 inch long some are 1/4 inch long

This one is blue and white with red around it's eyes.

Same fish as the top.

Jenny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pondmaninal(7b)

KOI.

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 10:26PM
koijoyii(NE Ohio)

Thanks pondaninal. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. I lost my bluegill last winter and now there are baby koi everywhere. Looks like I'm going to be going fishing for a new bluegill real soon. lol

Jenny

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 8:46AM
ccoombs1(7B SC)

Yep....they are koi. Be really careful with bringing wild fish into your pond though. It's a great way to bring in lots of nasty parasites that the wild fish can tolerate much better than our domesticated koi can handle.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 9:21AM
koijoyii(NE Ohio)

Thanks ccombs:

I am going to see if the nursery that has been trading me plants for my excess water lilies will take them off my hands. They have a koi pond there, but I don't know if they sell them.

I remember when my brother had a 30 gal aquarium. He went to the park and caught a school of about 5-6 sunfish. He had them for a while before he saw what looked like a tapeworm that was growing out of the side of one of the fish.

Maybe I should go looking for a garter snake. Although I may have one living around my pond. I was sitting out at dusk the other night when I saw something zig-zagging across the surface of the pond. I jumped up to see what it was, but it dived to the bottom.

Jenny

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 12:43PM
pondmaninal(7b)

If you can quarantine a bluegill long enough to observe and treat it, then that would be better.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 7:49PM
ccoombs1(7B SC)

Observing a bluegill for symptoms of parasites probably won't work. they are much hardier than koi or goldies and can usually live perfectly well for years with a population of parasites aboard. I don't know how you would treat a bluegill to remove parasites. Not all koi products are safe for use on other species.

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 6:53AM
ademink(z5a-5b Indianapolis)

I have had koi and bluegill cohabitating for years but they were all from a fish hatchery.

I have found the bluegill to be FAR more sensitive to water quality, etc. They are not as tough as you might think!

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
Silicone brand - does it matter?
Hi all! So I'm currently repairing my first pathetic...
jennyb5149
My ponds with no liners
I dug these ponds with a rented bulldozer 30 years...
mikebotann
Tropical marginals dormancy
Two months ago I planted an Umbrella Palm and a Papyrus...
thepondfather
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™