Seedling Roots Growing Into Capillary Mat

carlabrauerMarch 30, 2013

I'm growing several hundred seedlings in 2" soil blocks for the first time (no pots), and I thought I was being clever using felt as a capillary mat to water from the bottom.

The whole system is working wonderfully - the blocks are being watered properly, the seedlings all look healthy and are growing fast. However, I lifted one up yesterday and realized it, and all the rest, had grown straight though the block and woven itself into the felt!

The roots are much longer than I thought they'd be at this point and they're not ready for transplant (no true leaves yet). Every time I pick one up I rip a little piece of its root off.

Any advice? I'd like to not kill all these guys when I have to move them and transplant!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

You will have to transplant the blocks into larger containers or blocks now. The longer you wait to do it the more damage that will be done.

Transplanting prior to true leaf developments is done all the time by experienced growers. Waiting for true leaves is just a guideline used for those new to growing from seed.

Dave

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
Help with germination!
Hello all! I have a question! I started some of my...
countryladies14
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™