Tomato seedlings too tall and skinny

kikivisionMarch 22, 2006

This is my first time growing tomatoes from seed and I'm afraid they're too tall and skinny. I planted them about 2.5 weeks ago.

I've had them on a window sill (it's been cloudy lately) and grew them in Burpee seed pods.

Any suggestions? I would like to attach a picture, but not sure if that's possible on this forum?

Thanks,

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booberry85(5)

Your tomatoes probably want more light. Try getting a fluorescent light to put over the tomatoes. Also you could try repotting them and bury some of the stem. It'll grow more roots which will make the plants stronger.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 12:38PM
little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)

Well, if you have tall, skinny tomatoes, just bury them up to their leaves and they will be fine.

Wait until they have their second pair of true leaves, then either plant them in the garden, or bump them up to a bigger pot. Lay them in a shallow trench, and bury them up to their bottom leaves. Water well, and that is all there is to it.

The tomato will make roots down the length of the buried stem, and will have a much better root system. This is the way I plant all my tomatoes, even those I have purchased.

Best of luck.

Janie

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 12:44PM
janet_l(zone 7 OK)

Some of the best tomatoes that I ever raised were really tall and lanky. (They were about 2 ft. tall). I bought them that way. I buried them in a trench (all of the leaves were removed, except the very top 6 or 8 leaves). The plants REALLY produced that year.

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 10:31PM
mikeyjoe(Zone 6b, Southern Indiana)

Hello "kikivision",
I just wanted to let you know that there are a couple of posts about the same thing over on the Tomato Conversations forum.

I'm not saying that the advice given here is incorrect in any way, it is right on base. But I think a couple of additional options were discussed in greater detail.

"MJ"

Bookmark   March 24, 2006 at 12:26PM
aprentice74

hi everyone. my tomato plants have grown really tall 5'-9" to be exact with the help of a nylon line with a counter weight..but i've notice bottom branches wither and turn yellow or stay curled up and plant doesn't get thicker like i've seen in other tomato plants.. ill appreciate any help im a newbie growing tomatoes..thank you all for your time

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 8:37PM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

When old growth turns yellow it is because the plant needs nitrogen and the plant is cannibalising itself in order to support new growth. Fertilize your tomatoes.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Potting up seedlings ?
I have started my seeds in 'organic seed starting mix'...
youngdb
Getting disappointed when planting zinnia from seed.
Okay, first of all, I live in a tropical country, the...
bpmontilla
When to uncover seedlings?
I've successfully started seeds for years by bottom...
oldbuck
Damping Off disease and Chamomile
Specific inquiry to Chamomile; proven or myth? I am...
ngrrsn
Question on sowing seed indoors using starter kit
Hi Everyone - I'm a noob gardener and am attempting...
sistereinstein (Z5a WI)
Sponsored Products
Uttermost Belfast Crackled Red Porcelain Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Mestro 16 Chef's Knife - Pott
$295.00 | HORNE
Modernist Bar Stool in Red
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Chelsea Aster Sofa In Torrey Tomato with Jada Tomato Pillows
Beyond Stores
Accent Rug: Bergen Tomato 2' x 3'
$43.99 | Home Depot