capillary mat problem

jannabeen(z5 US/z6 Canada)March 13, 2012

I stopped growing from seed several years ago because the raccoons make mud pies of my winter-sown seeds and we always go on vacation in April, right during a crucial growing phase for indoor seeds.

This year, I purchased a light timer and capillary mat for watering. However, the capillary mats work way WAY too well: everything is absolutely soggy. I've tried trimming the mats so that they do not touch the edges of the tray, but that's not working. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robertpummer

Have you considered adequate light and heat resources in getting your system balanced?

Here is a link that might be useful: Starting Seeds Indoors

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 5:09PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

That is a chronic problem with capillary matting - it gets and stays too wet. The only solution I have found, only way to adjust it, is to reduce the size of the pot holes so they don't absorb so much water from it. That is how those automatic watering set ups work - small holes. Or transplanting the plants into much bigger pots so they don't get so soaked.

In the past I tried wringing it out well, running it through the washer and dryer, cutting it into smaller strips so there was just a small strip right under the pots rather than a whole sheet of it (that helped some), and cutting the part that sits in the water down to a narrow strip so it can take up water more slowly (that helps a bit too).

Either way it isn't ideal and I have lost whole trays of seedlings to it in the past so finally pitched it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dave

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 6:47PM
nbrantle(z6b Reading, PA)

In my instance totally the opposite is occuring....Initially the mat soaked up a lot of water...Now, however, the mat doe not soak up any water on its own...has anyone had this problem before?

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 1:44PM
More Discussions
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
Time for some early seed starting!
Got my seeds today. In about a week or so I will start...
Peter1142
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™