plant/tree thing....dying!

djliquidiceAugust 10, 2014

Searched everyone online based on description, can't figure out what this is, but I need to know so I can figure out how to save it, if possible. Seems like part of a Yucca family if you ask me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
djliquidice

sorry, not the best pics, but hopefully someone can identify.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 9:32AM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

I'm pretty sure it's a dracena.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 10:07AM
carol23_gw

It looks like Dracaena marginata.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 10:39AM
djliquidice

thats it! You guys rock! Time to play hero and try and save it.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 10:55AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

It's a bit difficult to see any detail in the picture but what is it about the plant that makes you think it's in trouble?

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 10:59AM
djliquidice

thanks to you guys I was now able to research the plant. Turns out, I think it's drowning in water.

When I got it, it was sitting in a larger pot that had a couple inches of water in the bottom. So right from the start, I think it was exposed to too much water. I've repotted it, but I think I too have been giving it too much water/fertilizer/sun. Leaves are bleached and falling off. Overall, just droppy.

I think what I will do is yank it out, let the roots dry up a bit, and go get some cactus/citrus/palm soil. Think that's the best thing to do? Trim some of the roots maybe?

Oh, and the trunk is very firm, so from what I've read, I'm in good shape to keep trying with it, not dead yet.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 11:16AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

In the house plant forum, there are many many existing discussions about this plant, and feel free to start a new one.

The info here is helpful basic info for keeping potted plants looking their best.

Too much sun too fast can cause sunburn, but these plants enjoy an hour or so of early morning or late afternoon sun, once acclimated. It's normal for the oldest leaves to be discarded as the trunk turns woody. The newest leaves on top should be sticking straight up, when the light is within acceptable range.

Sensitive to fluoride in tap water. Does a lot better with rain water, distilled, or condensate from A/C or dehumidifier.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
what sort of mushroom?
I promise I have no intention of trying to ingest this...
toad_ca
Late-blooming aster in a Colorado canyon
I shot this in late September in Cache la Poudre Canyon,...
Joe_Pye
please name this plant
Didn't know this plant.please name it. Thanks in advance...
Tabi77
Rosemary exact species name please (Qatar)
Hi Guys Can you please name the exact species of this...
maufie123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™