saffron?

ArtichokeMeMarch 30, 2014

I bought Trinidad scorpion seeds. They surprised me with a bonus seed pack. I planted my bonus saffron in a Dixie cup mix with garden soil and some fertilizer. I left them outside. I didn't give it much thought BC I didn't plan on them even sprouting. I have three of them now that sprouted. Now that I have plants I have a lot of questions. When to transplant, where to put them in my garden and how to harvest them. My garden is a salsa garden so its a little weird having saffron plants in there. There were no instructions on my seed packets.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

Don't know for sure what seeds you have called 'saffron' , because true saffron is derived from a crocus variety which is sterile and does not make seed. I suspect that they are a type of shallots which are sometimes called saffron. In that case treat them just as you would onion seed. Harvest when the tops dry in late summer or fall.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 1:32PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

See how they develop, if they are some type of crocus, your Dixie cup is going to present a problem. Crocus are usually left in flat or pot the first year after germinating so the corm can begin to develop. After that they are moved up a pot size or carefully transplanted into the garden - and if a crocus, they would likely go late summer dormant too. See what type of top develops, maybe post a photo later, maybe someone can tell you if you have young onion type or crocus (which would mature much more slowly)

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 9:27PM
ArtichokeMe

I only have a cell phone. This forum isn't mobile friendly for uploading pictures. The seeds where corn seed sized and white. The little sprouting has butterfly like wings leafs.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 11:28PM
butterfly4u

ArtichokeMe,
Go to Photobucket on your cell phone.
Download the app.
Take a pic of the plant and download the pic to Photobucket App on your cell phone.
After it's downloaded on photobucket, bring it up and get the HTML code, look under the pic and it will show you what it is.
You can put this right in a post on GW.
Try it.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 11:41PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Give it some time, newly germinated seedlings can be a little hard to identify, but I think most would describe crocus seedlings as looking more like grass....

Here is a link that might be useful: Saffron crocus seedlings/young plants

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 11:57PM
ArtichokeMe

Funny story... I mislabeled my cup. It's a Florida giant watermelon.....

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Are store-bought seeds scarified?
If I purchase a packet of seeds from the store, are...
stainsor
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
What size cell to pot up?
Hello, longtime lurker here. I am growing vegetables...
shire38
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™