Soaking in Peroxide and water

perezjuanf(10a)March 29, 2013

I have read that soaking seeds in a mixture of peroxide and water speeds the germination process.

I just tried the following mixture for some melon seeds

9 cc of water & 3 cc of Peroxide (a 3 to 1 mixture) after 5 hours I planted the seeds and placed them in a greenhouse how soon should I see the first sprouts (ball park figure)

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

You dont say what kind of seeds.....................I dont think this is some kind of magic instant germination formula. It may help some types of seed that are slow, it may not make any difference at all.

Why dont you try some of the same seed without the peroxide soak, and let us know if you find a difference.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:27PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I think you may be mixing together a couple of unrelated suggestions. First, many large hard seeds will benefit from pre-soaking and it is a fairly common practice. However it is done with just lightly warm water and for a period of 12-24 hours.

A brief soak in a peroxide mixture (10:1 of water to peroxide) is recommended by some seed savers as a way of disinfecting saved seeds before drying them for storage. Some also use a diluted peroxide mist for stopping fungus/mold growth on soil. But adding it to a pre-soak isn't a common practice and while it might disinfect them it really serves no other real purpose.

Since you only soaked the seeds for such a short time I doubt the peroxide hurt them even though it is a stronger mixture. But how fast those seeds will germinate will all depend on the soil temperature used.

Most melon seeds will germinate in 4-8 days if given soil temps between 70-75 degrees, 3-5 days if provided with warmer soil. In cooler soil it can 10-14 days.

Let us know how yours do.

Dave

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:31PM
bugbite(z9a FL)

Please, could I ask where you got the 3 to 1 mixture and the 5 hour number?

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
Are store-bought seeds scarified?
If I purchase a packet of seeds from the store, are...
stainsor
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™