Plant recomendation?

dirtybugJune 8, 2010

I'm hoping someone can recomend a marginal plant for me. I'm looking for something that will overwinter in zone 6, Will be placed in 8-10" of water and grow no taller than 10" above water.

Any such plant?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancym1956

Chameleon plant, water bacopa, and verigated water celery are hardy low growers, but the last two can be invasive if not kept in check. They spread fast with runners that will root in anything. If you can go a little taller, up to 18", dwarf cattail or corkscrew rush are good choices.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 8:15AM
jalal(z3/Canada)

Dwarf sweet flag. I have the varigated stuff. Love the lime green color. Planted bareroot in gravel along edge. Is supposed to be a good filtration plant as well. Hardy to Zone 3 so can overwinter in the pond.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 11:39AM
rsingley(z6a NJ)

I love marsh marigold. I'm not sure it fits ALL of your requirements, but I have the top of my pot a few inches below the water level and the leaves sit about a foot above, maybe a little more. It over winters fine, is the first flower in my garden, SWALLOWS excess nutrients whole, has eliminated any spring algae bloom and provides great cover for the frogs.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
A deck window to my pond
Covered a portion of my pond with a deck so I decided...
thepondfather
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
Waterlilies won't grow, leaves are small and curled
Hi all, I have waterlillies that until a year ago was...
reneek
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
New container water garden/fish pond
Hi everyone! We have wanted to create a water garden/fish...
Houndmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™