Distance from lighting and nutrient application after germination

Bill1897March 15, 2012

My lettuce seedlings are about 2-3 inches away from 2 T-8 32 watt fluorescent shoplights. Will they get leggy at this distance away from the light or should it be closer? Is it better to have the light bulbs touching the tops of the plants than to risk them being too far away? I'm just afraid that the heat from the lamps might harm the seedlings. Even though they're fluorescent lights and no where nearly as warm as incandescent lights, will their heat hurt the seedlings if touching? Also what nutrient product--preferably organic or at least all natural-- should seeds be given to help them grow until they're ready to be transplanted, and when should this be given (i.e. when the secondary leaves begin to form, when the cotyledons form, etc.) Is kelp extract or seaweed extract good?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Not touching but as close as you can get them withOUT touching.

Feeding - lots of discussions here about this you can read through. For the most part seedlings don't need feeding. Definitely don't need it until after their second set of true leaves develop.

That varies depending on what you are growing them in mix-wise, container size, how long before they can be transplanted to their final growing place, etc. Most transplant their seedlings at the first true leaf stage out of the seeding starting mix into a growing mix and most of them contain some fertilizer already.

But if you plan to feed them then any liquid of your choice - hundreds available - diluted to 1/4 to 1/2 strength max. weekly is the common recommendation.

Dave

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Growing Japanese Maple Seeds (Acer Palmatum) How? & Dealing w/ mold?
Hi, so recently I just got some Japanese maple seeds...
rinlearning
planting fresh seeds
hi everyone, i have a question regarding fresh seeds,...
irameez
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
Make your own seed tapes
Something to do on a cold Feb. day make your own seed...
oldgardenguy_zone6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™