Look what I found in my pond!

chris_in_ctJune 27, 2011

It's the rare two-footed-eight-year-old!

-Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: My pond album

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mammasue(z6bTexasPanhand)

We have one of those around here occasionally. So far I haven't found it in the pond.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 10:15PM
clarabelle63

Also known as the "Little Mermaid"? : ) Gotta love 'em!

Carla

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 6:02AM
erniem

I bet you fed it. You can't get rid of those once you feed them and then you have to pay for college.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 1:07PM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

A Mermaid!!! Is it a spitter?lol! Great album too, thanks for sharing!

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 2:04PM
cliff_and_joann

How adorable. :)

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 5:26PM
catherinet(5 IN)

I don't want to be a downer......but in the past, we've had lots of discussions about how unhealthy a pond is to humans. There are potentially so many kinds of bacteria in there.
Hopefully, she doesn't do this often (or ever again).
But.....she is very cute!

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 6:41PM
bulldinkie(pa)

People swam in farm ponds for many moons..

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 10:47PM
hardin(7 SE OK)

Well, that Little Mermaid isn't the only one that likes to get into the pond. She looks to be having a little more fun. I get into mine about once a week for maintenance on my waterlily, trimming leaves and such. Very cute.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 10:59PM
chris_in_ct

I don't want to be a downer...(but I will be).

:-)

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 11:01AM
chris_in_ct

Well, Catherine, I was going to let it go, but I just can't. It bothers me that someone thinks I would put my own children at risk.

I happen to be a medical doctor (a surgeon) and a PhD. I have also studied and worked in the public health sector and have published university level research in public health and epidemiology. While I don't consider myself an expert in ponding - hence my time trolling this board - I do consider myself an expert in health and wellness. It's what I do every day, and have done every day, for the last 28 years of my life. Over that time I have been presented with, diagnosed and treated pretty much every human disease there is to see, first hand. I also know how serious even minor conditions can become if left untreated or ignored. I am risk-cognizant myself and will teach that same concept to my children when they are older.

For my children now, though, I am very risk-adverse. I would never risk the health and well-being of my children, under any conditions. And your suggestion that I have done so is quite irritating to me and, in my opinion, erroneous. Quite frankly, it is simply ludicrous to suggest that there is a potential health implication from being in a backyard pond, particularly one with ample water flow, aeration and plenty of sunlight. I would venture to guess that there is a greater risk of slipping, falling and hitting your head on a rock in your pond then there is in wading in it.

That being said, if you feel that there is risk in *your* children being in a pond then, by all means, keep them out. But, don't begin to tell me what to do with *my* children when I am fairly confident I understand the potential risks better than you.

Regards,
-Chris

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
New container water garden/fish pond
Hi everyone! We have wanted to create a water garden/fish...
Houndmom
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™