help with spindly sprouts?

blaferbyMarch 6, 2011

I hope this link works (1st time posting pics).

https://picasaweb.google.com/blaerby/SpindlySeedlings3611#

Do the taller spindly sprouts looks ready to pot up?

They are a variety of vegetables, including tomatoes, spinach, cauliflower and brussel sprouts.

Also, should the stem be placed below dirt level because they're so gangly?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aquawise(zone 4 Utah)

Spindly plant is an indication of not enough light. Are you using grow light or a window? when re potting bury the stem up to the first leaf. This should be done after the first set of true leaves appear. I have done it sooner but needs to be done very gently, and only if plants are falling over do to poor lighting. Hope this helps!
To post a link put it in the Optional link below the message box. the give the link a name.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 3:42PM
luvahydrangea(Albany, NY 5)

Good advice from aqua. Your plants do not have true leaves yet, so they are not ready. Put them under lights and they'll start to grow some leaves. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 4:24PM
blaferby

I have 2 24" fluorescent grow tubes (that said "full spectrum" on the package and cost 10.00 each!) suspended 12" above the seedlings. However, I didn't turn the light on until the first sprouts poked through dirt (about 4 days after planting). Maybe that was a mistake?

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 6:10PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

They look like they were grown in the dark. Drop your light down to about 2 inches above the seedlings. Al

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 7:15PM
blaferby

Thanks for the helpful comments. As a neophyte, I've apparently way underestimated the light requirements. I now have my light right down nearly touching them. Is it possible to give them too much light, i.e., could leaving it on all the time counteract the spindly syndrome?
Thanks again.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 11:26PM
aquawise(zone 4 Utah)

No! don't leave them on 24/7. Plants need a sleep time (so to speak) 14 to 16 hours on is enough. Don't let the leaves touch the lights. They do burn if the bulbs are very hot. Another thing! Always water from the bottom, You don't want Damping off to get those tall seedlings. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 12:18AM
More Discussions
Conjoined twin basil seedling
This might be pretty common and not worth making a...
arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
preventing algae/moss
I have very small fans blowing gentle air across my...
njitgrad
When to start eggplant seeds
Johnny's says 8-10 weeks like the peppers. I remember...
Peter (6b SE NY)
Problem diagnosis - Please Help!!
I am having an issue where my seedling's leaves are...
Andy Keels
Thank you All
I've been on GardenWeb forever, but I lurk mostly,...
patchworkfarm (z6 CT)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™