What size contianer

jduren(5 MO.)March 3, 2013

Have coleus and petunias. What size container should these move up to? Petunias in 2x and coleus in 72 cell jiffy.....Jack

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Depends on how long to planting/sell and if potting up singularly or into multi-plant containers.

I use mostly 4" square pots and 6" round unless they are grown for filling big containers like hanging baskets and such. I'd bump the coleus up to the 4" and the petunias to the 6" if only a couple of weeks. If you have to buy much more than a month go to all 6".

Dave

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 3:00PM
jduren(5 MO.)

I guess it would be safe to pinch the petunias at this time? I will be moving everything up to 6" pots as I ordered them offline. The petunias are in 4.5 pots as I needed the space for now. Thx Jack

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 11:56AM
mandolls(4)

Definitely time to pinch those babies back! I am starting to get blooms on some of mine too, love it. If you want more, you can root up those runners. I cut off the first set of runners that my Waves put out and rooted them in a domed tray of pearlite/vermiculite, didn't use root hormones. A week later they are starting to develop roots. Just this morning I started up another tray of cuttings. From two packets of 10 seed each I should have about 75 plants by the time spring gets here.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 3:04PM
jduren(5 MO.)

Thanks. I have around 80 petunias and 70 coleus to use for cuttings. I guess another set of lights wouldn't be too bad.

Shame on you for making me spend more money..lol thx Jack

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 3:31PM
More Discussions
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
Growing Chesnuts from nut
This time last year I bought about four chestnuts from...
mccommas
Potting up seedlings ?
I have started my seeds in 'organic seed starting mix'...
youngdb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™