** Tecoma Stans 'Orange Star' Esperanza flowering shrub **

Disable_Plant_Lover(Z9 Houston)February 20, 2005

Hello, does anyone have TECOMA STANS "ORANGE STAR" ESPERANZA

flowering shrub? I am looking for someone who would be willing to give me some seeds or give me 3 cuttings from this beautiful flowering shrub. It blooms for summer until frost. It loves Texas hot weather.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
benjammin_40_yahoo_com

I know it has been a while since your posting. So I was wondering if you ever found some. I just bought 2 at a local H-E-B grocery chain in Hewitt, TX. 7-3-11

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 3:58PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Gsjammin 8,

I see a number of problems with Disable_Plant_Lover's request, and that may be the reason he/she is having problems finding the desired plant. The biggest problem is the name. 'Orange Star' does not appear to be a valid cultivar name. Often, it is a generic/common name used in conjunction with the cultivar Tecoma 'Orange Jubilee'. Adding the additional common name "Esperanza" just further confuses the problem. IF Disable_Plant_Lover was looking for this particular cultivar, he/she should have searched using the correct name. Adding the species name "stans" may also further reduce results in this particular case. A number of wholesale nurseries carry 'Orange Jubilee', so the plant should be available through some local nurseries (even if it had to be special ordered). Also, at least one mail order company, Zone 9 Tropicals (very excellent Garden Watchdog rating) comes up easily in a quick google search and currently has it in stock. Lastly, seeds of this cultivar would not come true-to-type (as is the case with almost all woody plant cultivars), so 'Orange Jubilee' seeds do not result in 'Orange Jubilee'.

If only the generic species, Tecoma stans, is desired, they are widely available throughout the trade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zone 9 Tropicals

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 11:55PM
johnsk9
    Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 7:12PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

"https://almostedenplants.com has them"

Has what? Their website doesn't show them having anything named 'Orange Star' or even 'Orange Jubilee'. Did you get the wrong company/website or post to the wrong thread by chance?

Did you read my post above???

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 4:53AM
More Discussions
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
'Sugar Shack' Buttonbush
Anyone have experience with this cultivar? I've always...
northraleighguy
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™