I need help finding the right Weigila.

judith745March 22, 2014

Can someone please help? Last fall we had the landscape guy pull four ugly cedars out of our front landscape. He suggested that we replace them with Weigilia which are easier to control plus there will be a flash of color across in front of the porch. The problem is that I really don't care for the pink with reddish leaves. I have seen pictures of Weigilia that tend toward lavender with green and cream leaves. Now it's time to plant and I can't find the ones I want. I did find one named Monet that was perfect but it was a dwarf and I need regular sized plants. I'm running out of time. I would really appreciate any suggestions and help that I can get. Thank you. I live in the Buffalo,NY area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

I have a couple weigelas but I don't think they are good for a front landscape. I live in Mississippi and they do not leaf out early, and are bare all winter. The flowering period is fairly short. I think you should find something else. I would not be familiar with what works in your northern zone. But there is a plant called lorapetalum, has a purplish foliage year round here, and there is a greenish one too. Flowers in spring. For my front I prefer evergreens or at least several of them with some deciduous because I don't like naked shrubs for a long period. Perhaps you can visit a nursery and see what options are out there yourself.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™