SOS..Newly planted rose laves turning yellow

angel-faceFebruary 19, 2014

I have newly planted a own root floribunda, most likely blushing iceberg. But 2 days after potting, many of its leaves have turned yellow. Some of the buds are dropping too. We have enough warmth here in tropics even during this part of the year, so that is not the problem. I have ensured that i am not over/ under watering the plant. What else could be the reason...Remedy?????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

Sometimes when you plant a rose the roots get damaged, and cannot support the top growth, and it dies. To prevent this, I would immediately prune back your rose to maybe 12 inches high. Take off all of the blooms and buds - they will be replaced if it survives. After you have pruned it down to a small size, DO NOT feed it - just make sure it has lots of water (which it needs temporarily because of lack of roots) and good drainage - that is very important. If it survives, it will just sit there for a while (weeks) looking like it is not doing anything. It is actually growing roots under the dirt, which you cannot see. Then it will start to sprout leaf buds, and eventually flower buds, and away you go.

Jackie

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 10:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Transplant shock. Trim back, keep watered--and wait. In about a month, everything should look fine.

Kate

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
New DA plants arrived!!
I got home from work yesterday and there was a big...
bethnorcal9
Do you grow ...?
Marie curie ? Dancing in the wind ? Kateryna ? Rebecca...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
When a seller has the wrong picture, etc.
One rather large plant catalog with lots of pictures...
stillanntn6b
Rose thorn infection update
For those who missed the last thread on the subject,...
alisande
Lilian Austin- Anyone Grow Her?
Does anyone have this rose? I am thinking of ordering...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™