Grafting Seedling Valencia Oranges?

TXBluebonnet11March 8, 2014

My grandfather passed away early last year. He had beautiful orange trees growing at his home in Phoenix, Arizona that I had admired as long as I can remember. I wanted to hold onto that memory. Just before his home was sold, I took several seeds from the oranges and flew them back home to Houston with me. It took a while, but a few weeks later, I had little baby sprouts which I transplanted to little pots. That was almost a year ago and they have very slowly grown.

My hope is that one day, I will have a tree just like my grandfather's tree. And a part of him will live on. I have read that trees grown from seeds will not bear good fruit or will not be as healthy as those grown from grafts. So I am wondering what my best options would be for turning my grandfather's wonderful trees into trees that are equally wonderful. Should I buy another tree and graft these baby trees to it when they are large enough? This is my first experience with citrus and a sentimental endeavor.

Additional info: I live in Houston. I think that the oranges are Valencia oranges because I collected the seeds in early May from oranges on his trees in Phoenix. My research tells me that the Valencia is the only common variety in that area that still has fruit on the trees in May.

Here's a photo of my baby trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TXBluebonnet11

Here's a photo of one of my grandpa's trees.

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 3:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Sorry to not be able to help you directly but yours is a very complicated question best dealt with by an expert in fruit trees and grating them. So if you don't mind I'll refer you to another forum here, one that focuses on those issues. I hope one of the experts there can assist you.

The Citrus Growing forum has several FAQs on grafting fruit trees as well as one specifically dealing with varieties of oranges. If the FAQs don't cover what you need then be sure to post your question on their discussion forum.

Dave.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus forum FAQs

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
Why did my morning glory seeds grow so much in just 3 days!?!?
I planted some heavenly blue morning glory seeds on...
tlbean2004
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™